The Right Stuff reviews - man am I stoked!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlo Medina, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I loved this movie enough to buy the flipper version when it came out and have been hoping for an SE from Warner ever since! I know there was another thread re: the announcing of this title but I felt like a new thread should be started with reviews linked and perhaps as an "appreciation" thread of sorts.

Here is DVD File's Review which has me excited!

This was a great film with great performances and an excellent story. Despite already knowing what happens, it is still compelling to watch. Can't wait until tomorrow...

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I thought street date was the 10th, not the 3rd.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It is due to be released on the 10th.

4. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

5. Carlo Medina

Ah crap, you all are right! Another 8 days!

6. Carlo Medina

Ack, after reading the DVD Talk review I'm a little less enthused. One of the glaring weakness was this huge film tear/defect thingie that I wish only lasted for a frame but was quite noticeable on the old DVD. I hope the print they used for this one was in better shape (even if not perfect).

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm purchasing a copy to give to my father for Father's Day. It's one of his favorites and ought to look nice on his big screen.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I think that transfer is good. But it could have been better. Like I keep stressing; Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus and also the recent The Mission all have (near?) flawless transfers, yet The Right Stuff fails to reach the heights of those previous "2-Disc Special Edition" DVDs transfers.

But I'm being quite critical here; the film has never looked better on video. And when did it last play in cinemas? I would love to see it on the big screen - the aerial shots are truly mesmerizing.

One of the great All-American films! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not even an American - just like Claude Lacombe! [​IMG]

Gordy

9. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

And, once again, no once mentions whether the soundtrack has the same irritating-as-hell distortion (can't think of anything else to call it) as the original did in some parts.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

11. Scott Strang

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'll be picking this up.

What scenes have the distortion you speak of? I ran it theatrically in 70mm and don't remember any sound anomalies.

13. Scott Strang

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'll have to listen for it on the new release (I don't have the older one or the LD).

15. Scott Strang

I'll be buying it simply to have the extra stuff and a non flipper copy. I can only hope that the sound is better also.

16. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I'm also highly anticipating this rerelease. Aside from the flipper issue I take it there is a 'tangible' improvement in video (based on the DVDFile review) and the supplements sound great. I'm sure this will be available in the sub $20 class with the level of B&M/Online competition for market share that we enjoy today. Of course, I could be wrong about both the qualitative improvements (as have been noted by DVDTalk) and the price/value considerations. Here's hoping for the best for one of my altime favorite films [​IMG] .

Joel

17. andrew markworthy

... somewhat ahead of schedule I believe. It's pretty good.

Disc 1 is the movie and v. little else. The good news is that it's no longer a flipper, and it's now in 5.1. The 'bad' news is that it sounds pretty restrained to my ears. The picture quality is reasonable to good, but nothing special (I wonder if this is a reflection on the film stock rather than the transfer - no doubt folks who are more techno-savvy will be able to comment on this). I personally would have preferred a flipper so that the bit rate could be effectively doubled. The movie had an interval in many cinemas, so it wouldn't be too bad a thing.

The extras on Disc 2 are pretty fair. You get a lengthy programme called 'John Glenn:American Hero' which I guess was first broadcast on an American TV station (sorry, as an ignorant Brit I wasn't really sure - 'PBS' seems to be mentioned). Then there are a collection of 13 clipped scenes, which in the main are just as good as the stuff left in, and only goes to show the quality in depth of the writing for this movie. There are then three documentaries - Realizing the Right Stuff (the making of the movie), T-20 Years and Counting (the editing of the movie, its release, how is stalled because it was seen as a 'political movie'), and The Real Men With the Right Stuff (interviews with many of the surviving members of the space programme). This would be a pretty good collection of extras, but in addition, there are commentaries on several selected scenes (two commentaries per scene - one largely from the folks behind the camera, one from those in front), and an 'Interactive timeline to space' tracing the chronology of space flight.

If you even vaguely like this movie, then it's well worth while upgrading from the old vanilla single disc version. Warmly recommended.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

PBS is the US equiv of the BBC, except we don't specifically get taxed for it (see PBS thread in "TV") and they instead hold beg-a-thons [​IMG]

19. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I would believe that you got your copy in advance if you put this post up in july, i heard of street date breakers, but 2 months in advance! I dont believe it!

20. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Ooops, my mistake, i was thinking of the sure thing dvd, forgive me. I always confuse those 2 titles.:b