What's new

The right speakers (1 Viewer)

WaleO

Auditioning
Hello all. I'm a total newibbe, help.
I'm thinking of spending around $2,500 on home theater speakers and I can't make up my mind.
I really like the Aperion Intimus system and Mordaunt-Short Avant 900 Series. I can't make up my mind. Who has experience with this two speakers ? Can I do better with my money ? What about Bose cubes ? What do you guys reccomend ?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

There are tons of brands, my first recommendation is to go listen. This is the only way to buy speakers is to listen to them carefully using your music. Go spend time auditioning. That being said a good place to start for a beginner is Paradigm. Solid value, and not sold in chains. But audition AS MUCH as you can. It's fun, and will lead to the best purchase and you get educated along the way.

WaleO

Auditioning
Thanks Chris but I live in a small Alabama city, the only auditioning I get to do is at Circuit city. Lol. They don't even have a best buy here not to talk of specialty music stores. I plan to buy over the Net.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
then you'll have to try some of the popular internet brands, axiom, rocket, etc. Rockets make good speakers, a solid value as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fan of Mordaunt Short here. I installed a full 900 series setup for a customer and they sounded great. I also own 902s myself, and I'm very happy with them. I haven't heard the Aperions though.

WaleO

Auditioning
Thanks john, they really do look nice on the net, wonder what they look like real life?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Look at the Rocket set ups at av123.com and a good sub and you'll have a set up that will last for many years that you will be very happy and proud of... I love mine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fit & finish on the MSs is very good. Quality parts, sturdy cabinets. One of the problems they had was the veneer blending in the corners, but they recently changed the cabinets from a very rounded edge to a straight one, so that should have become a thing of the past. The veneers themself are not the greatest, but they are still very good looking IMO. Having owned Paradigm Atoms, Titans and Minis, the 902s sound better. These guys are also smaller in person than they might seem online. The 902s are quite small, about the size of Atoms, yet give the performance of a larger speaker. The towers are very compact as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks