1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The right choice (question)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott W., Jun 5, 2003.

1. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

My TV has five settings in the picture mode. Which one is correct to watch to view anaNormal, anamorphic widescreen correctly? Normal, Theater wide 1, 2 or 3, OR Full? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Scott

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Full. Be sure to select 16/9 in the dvd player's setup menu.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Scott - here is a rundown on the Toshiba screen modes:

Natural(used to be Normal) - used for 4:3 480i/p, 16:9 1080i/720p(converted to 1080i)

Theaterwide 1 - Non-uniform stretch (more at the sides less in the middle). Does distort the picture. Can be used for 4:3 480i/p or 1080i with bars on the sides if you wish.

Theaterwide 2 - Even zoom and crop with no stretch and no distortion. Used for non-anamorphic letterbox. Can be used for 4:3 if no distortion is wanted, but cropping is greater than any other mode. Has ability to scroll picure up or down.

Theaterwide 3 - Partial crop, partial uniform stretch. Does distort the picture. Not as much stretch as TW1, not as much crop as TW2. Can be used for 4:3 480i/p and Tosh recommends this mode for 1080i with subtitles off the screen (why, I do not know). Also has scroll like TW2.

Full - Uniform stretch across entire screen. Used for anamorphic DVD's and DVD players that auto-scale.