What's new

The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Jeff,

Thank you for the great news! I've reserved my copy. :)
Scott,
2yv1geu.jpg

That calls for an encore :D , one of my few DVD opening's that I watch/listen to every episode....

DennisBassi said:
As much as I love this series I really believe that the price is too high. Also, it is unlikely to be carried by Amazon, at least initially. I would be in for $35 per season, but $70 just seems like too much. I guess I'll wait and see if the production values are high enough to justify it.
True, the price is higher than I was hoping to see with the initial season's release. We'll see how the transfers rate and compare vs the MPI box set picture quality and the Encore captures.

I'd prefer a complete-series release in tandem with single-season's but that wasn't their plan, I guess.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Given that I own the previous DVD releases, this is simply too rich for my blood unless it turns ot to be some kind of supreme remastering.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks so much for the good news, Jeff. :)

Gary "wish it were the whole shabang all at once instead of season by season, but this is still good news" O.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I agree about this initial news on the pricing. I understand they are adding in a bunch of extras, so it will be interesting to see who they are actually marketing to:
1) I can't live without the Rifleman,
2) I like and enjoy the Rifleman,
3) I like westerns in general and the Rifleman fits in that category.

If they are primarily promoting to option1 by adding in all the extra's then I can see them keeping the price around $70 with maybe a minimal discount to get buying started on the first season. Unfortunately for their marketing, many of the big fans that knew about the earlier release most likely picked it up when available, and others may have gone an alternate approach after waiting for so long. Many here might find that price a hard sell.

If they go the approach of more sales by including a price for those in option 2 or 3 then I think they will have to lower the price to around $35 to $45 a season (based on the episode counts) and have immaculate transfers like CBS. This could be nothing more then suggesting a higher price to give them flexibility, as well as then marketing it at a lower price upon release to make us feel better about it and to make us feel we need to order sooner in case the price goes back up. I'm thinking it will be this approach, at least it will have to be to get me to bite.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Dissapointing news on the Price. I will probably have to wait in hope that it will be on sale later. $50.00 a season is as high as I like to go for a season of half hour shows, $60.00 would be my max.. At $70.00 it will be $350.00 for all 5 seasons.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think the most obvious reason for the higher price-tag in this particular situation is that we aren't dealing with a big studio or company. This requires a larger price point in order to meet costs. I believe that's the most plausible explanation for the pricing. It doesn't help any of us in practical terms, but I think it probably explains how they came up with the amount per set they did.

Gary "more than likely this is going to be too rich for my blood - but I'm glad they are getting it done for mega-fans of the series" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can see where this price may be high for some. For my own part, if the sets were $100 per season I'd still purchase the series as The Rifleman is one of my holy grails. I'm really pleased that this is finally going to happen. That being said, all bets are off if the music is replaced, of course. ;) Seriously, I would not purchase any of the seasons if that were to occur with this show.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'll bet many of us our putting our names on the list for the first season. According to the email they put out we will have 72 hours to pre-order when actually released. I wonder how many that put their name in to show support will actually wait for reviews before actually purchasing (letting their hold on the set lapse). I will have to at that price point. Whereas I would jump right in and purchase for $40. But, like many that missed out on the MPI set, I am fortunate to have the Encore captures that will satisfy me if need be.

Are there many here responding that have the original MPI set? From what I recall the quality was better than Encore captures, but not up to the standards of a high quality (CBS-like) transfer from 35mm elements. The MPI sets covered the first two and two-thirds seasons completely with sporadic episodes thereafter. However, they were out of order, trying to be multiple best-of sets instead.

Interestingly, a search related to the Rifleman on DVD back around 2005 (I recall) is how I first learned about this forum. Unfortunately, I missed out on purchasing the MPI sets because they were already OOPs by the time I found them.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Richard V said:
Hope they include all 4 different openings to the show, not just the "walking/shooting" opening.
This quote is from the second post in this thread and is worth repeating. The "walking/shooting" opening was on all episodes broadcast by Encore, regardless of season.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Dan McW said:
This quote is from the second post in this thread and is worth repeating. The "walking/shooting" opening was on all episodes broadcast by Encore, regardless of season.
Did not know that about the different openings. Did the MPI set use only one opening, or did it have the actual openings per seasons?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Jeff:

Thanks for sharing the great news! Although the first season is pricey, I still signed up for a reserved copy.

Darby

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Richard V said:
I think the MPI set had one additional opening, (the nightime scene) on one episode, but the other two were not used

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/rifleman_beginnings/rifleman_beginnings.htm
Thanks, I emailed them to ask if all four of the original, as aired, opening sequences would be included within the upcoming DVD season releases. I don't know where MPI got the prints for their releases. If these releases will use the same opening as well, then it is possible this is where MPI sourced them, and the quality might end up close to the same. But if they will include all the original openings then that potentially bodes well for the use of higher quality prints.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Here is what I received back from them. Are we sure there were four openings?
Dear Brad Smith,
News to me. I am aware of two. Have referred your question to Mr. Gardner. If you haven't heard back from me in about a week, please write me, again and remind me.
Regarding the forthcoming release of DVDs, the first set is for Season 1. They will be issued sequentially, since the workflow is manageable that way. Work starts on the next Season after the holidays.

best regards,
Lisbet T

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
smithbrad said:
Here is what I received back from them. Are we sure there were four openings?
Well, the Web site I posted from definitely shows 4 different openings. The first one is where he looks at the camera from a sharp side angle. The second is where he looks at the camera from straight on, and DOES NOT appear to be reloading his rifle, the 3rd is the familiar walking/shooting/reloading beginning, and the last one is the nighttime scene. Unless someone on that website made mockup scenes?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I just received this in my Email. Sorry for the formatting. But at least it's great news for some of us. :)
We are pleased to announce that North Fork General Merchandise will open for business on December 4, 2013 at noon (EST) at www.therifleman.net, the official website of The Rifleman, the Original Series.
To inaugurate our store launch, the first ever authorized version of the complete and official Season 1 DVDs will be available for purchase exclusively at the official website.
We are proud that the official DVDs for Season 1 have been produced to a high standard. The set of eight discs contain all 40 episodes of Season 1 in sequential order, plus unique special features that fans and collectors will appreciate.

For more details about the DVDs, please visit:
North Fork General Merchandise
Milly will also be offering other merchandise that fans have been requesting for a long time, including prints reproduced from photographs in the archives of Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions. On December 12, look for the Official 2014 calendar of The Rifleman.
In 2014, more products will be added to North Fork General Merchandise, including the official Season 2 DVDs of THE RIFLEMAN. Each season will be released sequentially, with special features produced for each DVD set.
We are happy to take orders by phone beginning December 4 during regular store hours: 10:00am to 5:00pm (PST), weekdays only (closed holidays). Of course, you can shop online 24/7. Typically, orders will be processed within 48 hours and delivery in the contiguous United States usually takes 5–7 business days. (Our contact information is posted on our store page.)
— Best regards from the folks at North Fork General Merchandise
and Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions/LGL Licensing LLC

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=bizhj8kab&v=001ljJ4p7aX-nHL-fj2hPItvzFHyaslT71Aa2qJsSHXDjqDE1lck5qVi_dfzZQujC_YVdkk4IrRyo4UdusjxKfeSD2zrqGZCKBNe1IzGDbkh891qkqRwEGNuTuB7Cb7_mkgv3rRtQKsxv0fSm8MKs9_KcXWGeRs9DSKquPJRUv1FPCdkRLaefetFhCxabFE-MSLLpqOEl6A9apMTcmYuSk7GFbUfCKKCfeuZB7NeRdrXlG8fGYfdw9f52Xyn6eZoZi5sK7Rr2iE7yrgwysLQnFoE5R5v286kR3i

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm willing to wait and see if they actually finish the series out and maybe offer one big boxed set. And yes, I realize this type of thinking might be criticized as contributing to them not finishing the series because of poor sales, but I'm just not going to invest in it without knowing they will finish it. Chicken/Egg, I know.

Gary "plus, like Brad said, I want confirmation on A/V quality before I shell out big bucks" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks