What's new

The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ? (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Ron Lee Green said:
Just a friendly reminder that season 2 vol. 1 was released today exclusively at Walmart. The in-store price is 17.88 + tax (cheaper than their website).
Thanks for the reminder. I'll look for it this weekend. I'm in a fairly dense urban area, so several stores are within easy driving distance.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ron Lee Green said:
Just a friendly reminder that season 2 vol. 1 was released today exclusively at Walmart. The in-store price is 17.88 + tax (cheaper than their website).
Thanks Ron! The store closest to my office had three copies on the shelf - they were down to two when I left. :D

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Picked mine up at The Mart on release day. Was back in the store yesterday, and noticed they only have 2 copies left. Nice to see vintage television still selling in some cases.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Just finished watching the first episode (41) in the Season 2 Volume 2 Rifleman DVD set, titled "The Patsy."

This was my first Rifleman DVD set purchase and although I was pleased to see the original opening sequence, I was disappointed in the video quality which seemed soft and showed artifacts at times. The sound seemed kind of muffled also, at times.

I was hoping for cleaner transfers since it was coming from LGL the owners of the series. Instead, these prints look like they're from clean 16mm prints and although better visually and time wise (no editing apparant) than what is seen in Me-TV they should have been better IMHO.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Just received this email today from Levy-Gardner:

Celebrating The Rifleman's
57th Anniversary

For those of us who remember seeing the original broadcasts, it's hard to believe The Rifleman, the Original Series is still on the air and continues to attract new fans. Whether you have been with us since the beginning, when the first episode aired on ABC on September 30th, 1958, or you've joined us more recently on AMCTV or Me-TV, we want to say "Thank You" for supporting this iconic western classic.

8vE4QuA1HJzQnYHb5UPj8W4doMObdMIRqC9Pd-Ej8pGM9-fYoCOCxU7PFMmmEObH-ENxH7d0Mfs_DAWvDlxJ9nG4eEUfw2LkQSGpqW8XqN3nII_1DPco=s0-d-e1-ft

Special Limited Time Offer:
Get a 10% discount on
Season 1 or Season 2 DVD Boxed Sets
Between now and October 3rd, 2015, when you shop only at North Fork General Merchandise on the official website, get 10% off of either the Season 1 or Season 2 DVD Boxed Sets. Get both and save!
Use Code: ANNV57
Be sure to apply the discount code in the shopping cart before proceeding to checkout. (If you order both Season 1 & 2 DVD sets, you may need to click the "Apply Coupon" button again after adding the second DVD set to your cart.)
Coming November 27, 2015 (est.)
Collector Edition DVD boxed set
Season 3 (episodes 77 - 110)

The Season 3 DVD boxed set is targeted for release the day after Thanksgiving. Look for it in North Fork General Merchandise on our website and also at our Amazon store page, so keep your eyes open for News from North Fork and check the official website at www.therifleman.net toward the end of November. Work will begin on Season 4, then Season 5 after Season 3 is released.

Darby

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Any news of the remaining seasons of this series being released on DVD? I mean the seasons beyond season three?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish these had been done by professionals--and priced reasonably. Waited so long for it. So disappointed in the quality of season one. The shows I recorded off TV are much clearer.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Carabimero said:
I wish these had been done by professionals--and priced reasonably. Waited so long for it. So disappointed in the quality of season one. The shows I recorded off TV are much clearer.

But Season 2 looks great on my setup.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
After reading some reviews and comments here, I wasn't expecting much as far as picture quality when I picked up Season 1 not too long ago (Actually Season 1 Volume 1 from Wal-Mart). I've been pleasantly surprised as I find it to look pretty good, much better than I was expecting anyway. I used to own a few of the MPI sets and thought it looked better than those. I'm really happy with the set!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I did a fairly thorough comparison between the LGL and MPI sets for season 1, and MPI was definitely superior due to compression issues within the LGL set. Basically, in trying to improve on subtitles LGL made an error by duplicating all the episodes on each disk, one with subtitles and one with out. This lowered the bitrate enough to cause additional softness and jagged/shimmering edges (especially on the brims of hats).

LGL made improvements for season 2 by going with a more standard subtitles approach without the need for duplicating episodes.They also increased the bitrate a bit over the MPI set, which provided a minor improvement over MPI. I'm assuming all future releases will follow the season 2 model. My guess is that the overall source prints are the same between LGL and MPI. In other words, the prints used by MPI probably came from LGL.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
smithbrad said:
I did a fairly thorough comparison between the LGL and MPI sets for season 1, and MPI was definitely superior due to compression issues within the LGL set. Basically, in trying to improve on subtitles LGL made an error by duplicating all the episodes on each disk, one with subtitles and one with out. This lowered the bitrate enough to cause additional softness and jagged/shimmering edges (especially on the brims of hats).

LGL made improvements for season 2 by going with a more standard subtitles approach without the need for duplicating episodes.They also increased the bitrate a bit over the MPI set, which provided a minor improvement over MPI. I'm assuming all future releases will follow the season 2 model. My guess is that the overall source prints are the same between LGL and MPI. In other words, the prints used by MPI probably came from LGL.
Too bad they can't redo season one and let those of us who shelled out money for it get a set comparable to season two.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I ordered Season 2 from LGL's North Fork General Merchandise with the coupon mentioned above but, unfortunately, I encountered the following playback issues:

On Disc #2 in the episode entitled "The Baby Sitter" at time interval 06:36, the disc freezes and stops playing entirely. I have tried the disc on the two DVD players I have and I encounter the same issue.

On Disc #3 in the episode entitled "A Case of Identity" at time interval 07:41, the disc freezes and stops playing entirely. I have tried the disc on the two DVD players I have and I encounter the same issue.

I contacted their customer service department (which, by the way, was very helpful) and they sent a replacement set, but, unfortunately, the same issues were present. :angry: I have returned both sets and they are processing a refund. I really was looking forward to collecting the whole series on DVD. Perhaps I might try to buy it again in the future and hope for a set that plays properly.

Darby

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I ordered Season 2 from LGL's North Fork General Merchandise with the coupon mentioned above but, unfortunately, I encountered the following playback issues:

On Disc #2 in the episode entitled "The Baby Sitter" at time interval 06:36, the disc freezes and stops playing entirely. I have tried the disc on the two DVD players I have and I encounter the same issue.

On Disc #3 in the episode entitled "A Case of Identity" at time interval 07:41, the disc freezes and stops playing entirely. I have tried the disc on the two DVD players I have and I encounter the same issue.

I contacted their customer service department (which, by the way, was very helpful) and they sent a replacement set, but, unfortunately, the same issues were present. :angry: I have returned both sets and they are processing a refund. I really was looking forward to collecting the whole series on DVD. Perhaps I might try to buy it again in the future and hope for a set that plays properly.

Darby
I would guess that they will look at the copies returned by you, and then have them repressed. Unfortunately this can be a problem with small companies . John Ellis had a similar issue with Steve Canyon Vol. 3. He had it repressed and sent out to customers pretty quickly .
By he way , I recall years ago having a skipping /freezing problem with more than one copy one of the MPI Rifleman DVDs !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks