What's new

The RIchard Pryor Show - Short Review (1 Viewer)

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the first episode, brilliant stuff. The writing in 1977 is as topical and cutting edge as anything on TV today. In fact, some of it probably wouldn't make it on TV today.

Not only is it hysterically funny, but the production values are outstanding... amazing sets, full casts, and elaborate costumes. These are not mere sketches, but full production numbers. The cast includes Robin Williams, Sandra Bernhard, Paul Mooney, John Witherspoon, and lots of other great talents in their prime.

One scene takes place in the Star Wars bar, and Rick Baker's makeup is nearly identical to his work in the film. Another scene has Paula Kelly doing a dance number set in a '40s Harlem Bar that is breathtaking. It even ends on a bittersweet note, with Richard playing a heartbroken GI.

Paul Brownstein does it again. He knows what to bring to disc, and how to do it right. This is what TV-on-DVD is all about.

DVDEmpire has the Three disc box set for $23.09, which is a bargain considering the two 1-disc releases are $11.54.each. So with the box set you basically get a free bonus disc, the TV Special with John Belushi and Maya Angelou that led to the 4-episode series.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe the bonus disc is only available with the box set, and it's well worth getting. I remember seeing the special when it first aired, and rewatching some of those routines was like visiting with long-lost (and hilarious) friends.

M.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The best bit on the bonus disc is the second half of the "drunk" sketch, when Richard Pryor stumbles home from a bar and passes out on his sofa. His wife, played by Maya Angelou delivers a monologue that brought tears to my eyes.

Unfortunately, nothing else in the box set has yet to live up to that one scene! :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks