What's new

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A great looking Blu-ray! I liked the movie, but there is no way she gives up that hard earned savings. It just doesn’t make any sense. Great cameo by Ward Clever.:)

I agree that Mamie would not give away her earnings. That would be totally out of character and she's a strong willed person. My take is that she's just saying that because she knows it'll make her more respectable but in fact she's got all her loot stashed!

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I know that this is likely to be controversial subject, but can someone explain to me why so many of the Fox CinemaScope restorations have a blue push to the color scheme? Is this grading how Deluxe color was supposed to look?

White shirts and snow should be....well, white. In the HOUSE OF BAMBOO transfer, the snow has a very noticeable blue hue. That's only one example of what I'm talking about. I remember others upset with the "blue push" to the KING AND I transfer in the R&H set.

Again, the blue push in these transfers just doesn't look right to me and I do color gradings on my own film scans. Possible white balance issue? I am equally aware that this may be an artistic choice on the part of the colorist. I never saw 1950s CinemaScope films in theaters myself. Is there any documentation to show that these films should be graded in this manner?

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here.....I truly want to know more about these color grades. I haven't seen this in any other studios' transfers; it seems to be unique to Fox CinemaScope transfers done in the last 5 years or so.

Yep - the blue tint is definitely there. I don't know about color timing, but I do know that no organic Cinemascope/DeLuxe transfer from this vintage originally looked like so may of the one's that came down the pike from Fox. Other transgressors: The Blue Max, Desk Set, The Best of Everything, Wild River, The King and I, River of No Return, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, From the Terrace, Garden of Evil. Too many to list, actually. It appears all of the aforementioned were 'remastered' in the same time period. But something is decidedly remiss. Not only are whites tinted blue, but spectral highlights like shiny black leather, or pomaded hair also are VERY blue. The blue push is occasionally grotesque. In Desk Set it renders all of the reds during the Christmas sequence a ruddy orange. In The Best of Everything, not only is the white office robin egg blue, but everyone's eyes are as well. There's no excuse for it and rest assured, Fox just didn't want to acknowledge it was actually happening for some time.

Robert Harris acknowledge the 'tint issue thus for his review on this forum for The Best of Everything - "Twilight Times' via Fox Blu-ray represents the film well, although blue does seem a bit heavy at times. I'm presuming this to be an element issue."

You should also check out the following link on this forum in which Chuck Pennington provides a fascinating clip for clip analysis of old masters with true 'scope' color to the bastardized 'remasters' with their insufferable teal or blue biases.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...e-at-fox-please-evaluate.332207/#post-4099622

Again, Fox has shown zero interest in revisiting this work to provide us with better transfers which all of the aforementioned definitely deserve.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Alternate theory: the fine folks at Fox, armed with all of the original production documentation and lab notes, know what these films are supposed to look like and master them accordingly. An older or different looking master is just that: older and different looking, not necessarily more correct.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
OK, guys, thanks. Every time I watch these Fox transfers, I notice this and it really bugs me. Thought maybe I was imaging it! Anyway, otherwise they are great transfers and I won't stop buying them!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
RE: Desk Set - reds are supposed to be red. Just look at the Christmas sequence. Hepburn's coat and presents in the 'remastered' Blu-ray are ruddy orange - not red. The fine folks at Fox need to address this. This is NOT how Desk Set should look!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the Fox transfers look beautiful and I'm happy with them. Today, I watched "Black Widow" and "The Bravados" on Twilight Time Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The review copy of Black Widow arrived very recently, I'm really excited to get into that one. I was really impressed with The Bravados - somehow I had missed that film during my big western binge a couple years ago and it was phenomenal. And of course Mamie Stover looked gorgeous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The review copy of Black Widow arrived very recently, I'm really excited to get into that one. I was really impressed with The Bravados - somehow I had missed that film during my big western binge a couple years ago and it was phenomenal. And of course Mamie Stover looked gorgeous.
I'm currently watching "Black Widow" again as I'm listening to the audio commentary by Alan K. Rode, an associate of Eddie Muller's at the Film Noir Foundation.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Mamie Stover" has been added to my future purchase list.
Thanks for the review, Josh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since yesterday, I watched three of Twilight Time's Blu-ray releases. All three discs were in Color and CinemaScope. I thought all three looked and sounded great. Some people might have issues with the Fox color timing, but not I, as I think they all looked great on my OLED.

• The Revolt of Mamie Stover
  • Black Widow (1954)
  • The Bravados

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I agree that Mamie would not give away her earnings. That would be totally out of character and she's a strong willed person. My take is that she's just saying that because she knows it'll make her more respectable but in fact she's got all her loot stashed!

Of course, in the novel it's based on, which was loosely based on a real woman, she does no such thing! The notes included with the Blu-Ray reveal they had to make that more palatable to pass muster then.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
--Years later Fox Movie Channel aired the film and I got a copy of it then. The running time is 89 minutes, but all other film sources list the original running time as 92 minutes. Does anyone know what the extra three minutes of footage is, or perhaps the film was sped up to eliminate three minutes?

I had a chance to compare my 89 minute copy from Fox Movie Channel with the Blu-Ray release. NOTHING is missing from the 89 minute version. It's just sped up to eliminate 3-4 minutes. The Blu-Ray running time is: 92 mins. 43 secs.

I love the isolated music score on the Twilight Time release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know that this is likely to be controversial subject, but can someone explain to me why so many of the Fox CinemaScope restorations have a blue push to the color scheme? Is this grading how Deluxe color was supposed to look?

White shirts and snow should be....well, white. In the HOUSE OF BAMBOO transfer, the snow has a very noticeable blue hue. That's only one example of what I'm talking about. I remember others upset with the "blue push" to the KING AND I transfer in the R&H set.

Again, the blue push in these transfers just doesn't look right to me and I do color gradings on my own film scans. Possible white balance issue? I am equally aware that this may be an artistic choice on the part of the colorist. I never saw 1950s CinemaScope films in theaters myself. Is there any documentation to show that these films should be graded in this manner?

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here.....I truly want to know more about these color grades. I haven't seen this in any other studios' transfers; it seems to be unique to Fox CinemaScope transfers done in the last 5 years or so.

I didn't notice any teal/blue push. No blue on her dress.

large_mamie_stover_15_blu-ray_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks