What's new

Directors The Reverse-Abstain Tournament (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Okay, we've got our field, so it's time to start with the matchups. Remember, the voting rules are in reverse - abstain if you have seen one or both films, and vote for the one you would more like to see, or which piques your curiosity more.

Round One, Bracket One:

The Assault

vs

The Baby of Macon

And, since we're doing things in reverse, I'll place my vote up front for The Assault; I like WWII stories and Peter Greenaway makes me nervous.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I'm interested in both but since I've never gotten around to seeing a Greenaway movie..

The Baby Of Macon

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
abstain - seen both :D

The Baby of Macon is a terrific, but repulsive film which will most likely never see a US theatrical release due to the religious and graphic nature of the film (I saw it at a film festival).
Miramax's relationship with Greenaway ended with this film, it was too much for old Harv!

And avoid the R4 DVD unless you are really desperate, the quality is piss-poor! :angry:

Not even The Pillow Book?
I know you have that one at home, Brook...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm pretty sure I've seen The Assault so I'll abstain.

The Baby of Macon does sound interesting though Greenaway is hit and miss with me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Assault...9
Macon...5

Congratualations, Denmark.

Round One, Bracket Two:

Before The Rain

vs

Berlin - Alexanderplatz

Note: There were two Berlin - Alexanderplatz-es in the IMDB; I guessed Brook meant the 1931 silent instead of the 1980 TV miniseries; let me know if I'm wrong. EDIT: I was wrong.

Not a whole lot of information on the silent; I would be more curious if I were familiar with the original (massive) book to see how it was pared down to 90 minutes. But I'm not, so I'll choose Before The Rain somewhat by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks