What's new

"The Return of the Living Dead" DVD - August 27th (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
What you've all been waiting for! MGM now has set a release date for "The Return of the Living Dead" DVD!
It will come out on August 27th. It will have all the extra features I've been talking about on my site
http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/ROTLD.html
for a while now; audio commentary by writer/director Dan O'Bannon and production designer William Stout, new video transfer mastered from the original negative, newly created sound mix by O'Bannon, featurette (though I'm not sure everything it will contain, I do know O'Bannon and Stout recorded new interviews for it), theatrical trailer and though other internet reports aren't mentioning it, O'Bannon told me the DVD is supposed to have a stills gallery of Stout's sketches/artwork from the film. Movie to be presented in 4:3 full screen and 1.78 widescreen (internet reports seem to be going with 1.85 widescreen but O'Bannon told me he went with 1.78 instead.)
I just got off the phone with MGM and they confirmed the internet reports on the release date. Now we all know when our day of joy will come. Sure it won't be a huge special edition but remember, if it sells well....say hello to "The Return of the Living Dead: Director's Cut"!
By the way, I did ask about a VHS re-release as well and the bad news to all you non-DVD people out there, there won't be one. MGM is "phasing out" VHS! I'd suggest if you want "ROTLD", you buy a DVD player soon.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Finally all our efforts have come to fruition with this release date. Thanks for all the work you've done and for keeping us up on all the newest RotLD info Michael :emoji_thumbsup: .

Beau

Supporting Actor
YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY! I havent seen this movie in 5 YEARS!!!!!!! I am so happy that it will be coming out in less than 4 MONTHS!!!!!!!! I am SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!:D I'm going to buy 2 copies of the DVD, one to watch and one to keep in the plastic. I SO can't wait!

This is fantastic news. Great work.

This is very exciting being that I actually took the time to send in an email to one of the contact addresses for MGM.

Thank you ever so much for your dedication.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yes, it does suck that we all have to wait for the DVD.

I'll be getting a special print (NOT on the DVD) from Dan though. Don't know when but it's something else I can look forward to. When I do see it, I'll compare it to the DVD and share my thoughts on how they compare.

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
this is great news but what do you all make of this article at the
Creature Corner ?
basically, it mentions that MGM has given the director the option to put together a director's uncut cut but ONLY if this first release sells.
is this true? is this old and disputed news? whats the deal?

Todd_B

Second Unit
I am going to be more than happy to part w/my cash for this gem of a film (and disk).
Thanks MGM (again ;) ).
Todd B

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
this is great news but what do you all make of this article at the

Creature Corner ?

basically, it mentions that MGM has given the director the option to put together a director's uncut cut but ONLY if this first release sells.

is this true? is this old and disputed news? whats the deal?
I originally reported that on my web site a while ago, it is indeed true. Why some sites aren't crediting me with the information...I don't know.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Excellant news Michael!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait to pick this one up. Maybe I'll buy 2 copies to increase our chances for a special edition down the road. Thanks again for all your effort and information! :cool: :cool:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I've pre-ordered my copy (along with The Fog and Last House on the Left) - when the companies do such great work at rock-bottom prices, they deserve rewarding.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks again Mike. I've never bought 2 copies of a DVD before but this might be the first time (at around 10 bucks, who can afford not to!).

Any news on the covert art?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I order it with a cheque from a UK company, Movietyme. $14.95 titles are priced at £9.99 delivered, and $19.95 titles are £11.99.

They're very good. Even if they don't have up on the website what I want, I can send them the details and a cheque for the right amount (based on other items with the same RRP) and they'll get it for me promptly.

It'll be up everywhere on Monday, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks