The Return Of The CD Longbox (for DVD)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Early in the life of the CD, they appeared at retail outlets in 2 types od longboxes - one with cover art reproductions, and another one with plain artwork and a see thru window.
    The record companies eventually disbanded the longbox due to complaints from customers and retailers over wasting shelf space, and from environmentalists who complained that this was more useless trash for landfills.
    Yesterday, I walked into Wal-Mart. THE LONGBOX HAS RETURNED!! A plain black box with a large DVD logo on the bottom encased copies of the Christmas classic How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I had to gag.
    Hasn't the entertainment industry learned anything?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Hi Keith, we often shop here at Sam's Club and most of the dvd's there are in long boxes. I never cared for the long boxes on cd's either, it's just more trash to throw out.

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I recently saw X-Men in a long box at the Hastings I work for. Sam's always seems to use them, but I've started seeing them pop up elsewhere.

4. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Costco too.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yeah, both Costco and Sam's have used the "longbox" ever since they've been into DVD's. If it's not the cardboard kind, then it's the "locking plastic" kind used for security purposes.
    In fact, a few weeks ago I picked up Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase at Sam's (just $16.99!). I didn't think about it until I got home, but it had the plastic frame on it and they neglected to remove it at the time of sale.
    Well, here I was at home with the darn thing, with my 3-year-old excited to watch Scooby Doo, and me without my special unlocking tool for these damn things. I didn't exactly want to load my son back into the car and go back to Sam's just for taking that thing off. Good thing I had a hacksaw handy! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Actually, the only reason why record companies used longboxes in the beginning was BECAUSE the retailers wanted them. Longboxes allowed the reatilers to simply convert their LP bins to hold CDs, since the longbox was exactly half the size of one LP.
    Everytime they wanted to go to jewel-box only, the major retailers pitched a fit at the cost involved of purchasing new fixtures for all their stores. Eventually as CD became so popular, it became apparent that retailers had no choice but to buy new bins.
    The only reason you are seeing DVDs in longboxes now is because these retailers have requested it. In order to get product placed into Sam's Club or Costco, the companies have to produce a version in the longbox. Although with these retailers, I am sure it's just because they want a bigger case for loss prevention issues than because of fixtures. (These stores tend to display the discs in the cardboard boxes they were shipped in.)

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

As far as I know, these are just security cases that can be used on any and all DVDs, just like the frames they put on CDs. DVDs are #1 on shoplifter's list right now. They fence for more than CDs, and are just as hard/easy to lift
    Jeff Kleist

8. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

I really don't see why it creates more trash. It does create more plastic wrap, but for the longbox itself I just toss it in the recycling bin. Same with the plastic around the box sets that Costco has. Anything that has a recycle symbol w/a number can be recycled by whoever collects recyclables in your community.
    ------------------
    "A day job...in an office? My worst nightmare!"-Tick

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Jodie, another factor that kept longboxes around (or created them, for that matter) was that the record companies had longstanding relationships with the cardboard industry (making record album sleeves). As records were being phased out, the industry's relationship with cardboard continued, in the form of CD longboxes. I have no doubt there was more than a little bit of personal investment in the cardboard companies that kept this going.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Besides, who can forget Spinal Tap's second album, with the Extra-Long Box ("33% More Recyclable Material!")?

11. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

12. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

My Costco had DVDs just in the shrinkwrap a couple of years ago, but now everything is boxed to prevent theft.
    I understand why Costco does the long boxes and extra packaging...but for the honest consumer, it makes it a lot harder to inspect the cases. I always like to see if the artwork on the spine is centered...something impossible to do at Costco nowadays.
    Michael
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Michael Johnston on November 09, 2001 at 12:04 PM]

13. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    At the Sam's Club nearest me, many of the new DVD releases are encased in those long plastic frames that need to be unlocked, but Sam's hasn't the key, so you have to take the things home and cut them open. What a friggin' waste!

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    That's what we had to do when I worked at Wal Mart about 8 years ago. All the cds and cassettes were in plastic holders which had to be cut off with a pair of scissors. Half the time, you cracked the case trying to remove the plastic holder.
    Multi-billion dollar company, yet too friggin' cheap to buy a damn key. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

And even if you can recycle the box, it isn't 100% recycled. It still wastes materials.
    If you don't like the box, the simplest solution is to not shop at retailers that use them.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"