What's new

The Rescuers 35th Anniversary Edition and The Rescuers Down Under Blu-ray available for preorder on (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
bb6ab067_51rmt4bWaL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rescuers-Anniversary-Thee-Disc-Packaging/dp/B0084IHVQG/ref=sr_1_80?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1338586271&sr=1-80

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Note that these were both theatrical releases, and well up to the Disney animation quality we love. The sequel is about as good as the original. A blind buy, unlike films such as POCAHONTAS and FOX AND HOUND which are paired with very inferior sequels.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I *loved* THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER when I was a kid. Loved it. Adored it. But I watched it maybe five or so years ago, and in my opinion it doesn't hold up at all. However, I suspect it will look amazing on Blu-ray, as if it had one thing going for it, it was its animation.
THE RESCUERS is still pretty incredible, though.
I started revisiting movies I loved as a child in college (THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, JAWS 3, SUPERMAN IV, ALIEN 3, etc...) and determined the following:
1. As a child, I was an idiot, and
2. I was consistently very, very close to liking something awesome, but for some bizarre reason I always gravitated towards the entries in a particular franchise that were bad.
I'd like to think that in recent years I have corrected both of those two things, but I suppose the verdict is still out :)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I presume those infamous frames in The Rescuers that triggered a recall of the VHS will not be restored? :D
Anyone else remember a contest from when the first film came out where one of the prizes was a replica of The Devil's Eye? I always wondered if it looked like the gem in the movie.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
SilverWook said:
I presume those infamous frames in The Rescuers that triggered a recall of the VHS will not be restored? :D
Anyone else remember a contest from when the first film came out where one of the prizes was a replica of The Devil's Eye? I always wondered if it looked like the gem in the movie.
A replica of The Devil's Eye? never heard of that, was it a real diamond?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
darkrock17 said:
I don't remember that. Please enlighten me, you've got me curious.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
darkrock17 said:
That's what I've wondered all these years. A real gem that big would have been more costly than an all expenses paid trip to Disneyworld.(Which I think was one of the other prizes.) Some obsessive Disneyana collector must know...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Both are good films (not great). Down Under has some really nice animation, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of the first times computers were used in the animation process? Those sweeping views of the scenery?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Sam Favate /t/321177/the-rescuers-35th-anniversary-edition-and-the-rescuers-down-under-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_3934672
Both are good films (not great). Down Under has some really nice animation, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of the first times computers were used in the animation process? Those sweeping views of the scenery?
so well done,ut itink Disney's better limited use was the clock towerin The Great Mouse Dective, that whole sequence is just outstanding

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Rescuers Down Under was indeed one of the earlier animated films to use CGI. I was just looking at some clips on Youtube and am impressed at how well they hold up over 20 years later! I've been on an '80s/'90s animation kick lately and can't wait to watch this on Blu-ray.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Sam Favate said:
I'm pretty sure The Black Cauldron used CGI for the one shot of all the "fake" cauldrons flying around and taking off into the distance.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
darkrock17 said:
The frames of which you speak were not on the initial 1992 Laserdisc or VHS releases, but they were on the January 1999 VHS and Laserdisc. The Laserdisc street date was a week or two after the VHS, and it was about a week or so after the VHS was released that the recall happened. The Laserdisc never even hit store shelves, although distributors had received stock. I had mine preordered so they sent it to me. :) I wonder how many collectors got their hands on one. Not many people seem to know about the recall or naughty frames, and even fewer seem to know why they are there on the 1999 release but are not on the 1992 edition.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've long been curious about how those frames got there. Snopes says:
"The two 'topless woman' frames had reputedly been present in the film ever since its original 1977 theatrical release (a fact apparently confirmed by Disney, whose spokesperson said that the tampering 'was done more than 20 years ago'), although Disney claims that they were not included in the 1992 home video version because 'it was made from a different print.' Disney also claimed that the images were not placed in the film by any of their animators, but were inserted during the post-production process."
I don't know quite enough about how movies are made to make sense of this. It sounds like, after the film was complete, there were multiple copies. Why? For what purpose? I mean, it doesn't sound like this was an actual release print, because they wouldn't have used that for the video, right?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Chuck Pennington said:
The frames of which you speak were not on the initial 1992 Laserdisc or VHS releases, but they were on the January 1999 VHS and Laserdisc. The Laserdisc street date was a week or two after the VHS, and it was about a week or so after the VHS was released that the recall happened. The Laserdisc never even hit store shelves, although distributors had received stock. I had mine preordered so they sent it to me. :) I wonder how many collectors got their hands on one. Not many people seem to know about the recall or naughty frames, and even fewer seem to know why they are there on the 1999 release but are not on the 1992 edition.
I lucked out in getting a sealed copy on Ebay at the time. Just like that recalled Best of Roger Rabbit disc, Disney just wasn't fast enough. ;)
It's curious this never seemed to get as much notice as all the things people only imagine they see or hear in other Disney films.

The funny this is, I think the naughty frames were on the Wonderful World of Disney opening and can be seen on various Disney movies released under that Wonderful World label on dvd (ex. The Sword and the Rose.)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by John Weller /t/321177/the-rescuers-35th-anniversary-edition-and-the-rescuers-down-under-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_3949568
Was The Rescuers Dolby on its original release?

No. I don't think any of the animated films got Dolby soundtracks until The Black Cauldron, although I have heard conflicting reports on whether The Fox and the Hound was.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/321177/the-rescuers-35th-anniversary-edition-and-the-rescuers-down-under-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_3949685

No. I don't think any of the animated films got Dolby soundtracks until The Black Cauldron, although I have heard conflicting reports on whether The Fox and the Hound was.
Yeah Fox and the Hound was probably mono originally. It has a RCA Photophone credit (the last film I think to have such a thing) instead of a Dolby credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks