What's new

the reputation of maharishi university? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
a friend of mine asking me about maharishi university.

is it a reputable university?

any comment would be appreciated.

thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael, if this is in any way associated with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, will you please provide the adult supervision in this thread?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
oh sorry, i didnt know about it. if there was a need for adult supervision for this thread, i really dont understand why.

please let me know if it is a good univ or not, it is not for me but for my friend. i myself am a grad student at depaul univ chicago.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had a chance to do any research regarding the claims made by that university and its program. But, coincidentally, I just picked up a book from the science section at the local mega-bookstore related to some of that stuff. If you wish to know the title of this book, please PM me. It strictly stays within the bounds of the scientific method, but I will not say anymore about it!

Felix, I strongly suggest your friend pick up a copy of Carl Sagan's book, "The Demon Haunted World". It will tell him everything he needs to know so that he can make an informed decision.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
demon haunted world? what does that have to do with a university? but anyway, thanks for the responses. i got a bad feeling about it, and i will let my friend know about this thread so that he could avoid that university, whatever the reason is. he is the one who needs to find out those reasons, i have no time to pursue this any further.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I went to MIU (now MUM) from 90-94, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. Yes, it was founded by Maharishi. I studied EE there. (and DJ'd, and had a blast, and learned a lot!) And I still live here in Fairfield, about a half mile from the university. It's gotten a lot smaller since I went there, but depending on what you want to study, there are still some brilliant faculty.

Kevin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he knows about The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by the late Dr. Sagan. Felix, it is a beautifully written challenge for people to free themselves of the shackles of pseudoscience, superstition, hoaxes, belief systems, gurus, etc. in preference for science and critical thinking.

Hell, The Beatles saw through the Maharishi while they and their crew and friends were encamped at the man's compound in India during the spring of 1968.

The Maharishi has been resoundingly discredited. He is a money-grubbing cultist.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I guess that's why Paul McCartney spent time with him last year and George Harrison continued to practice TM until his passing. That's a bit of a harsh attack.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad your experiences at the unversity were positive ones. I was not aware they offered more "traditional" programs. The impression I got from the website was that they were all about transcendental meditation and the glorification of the founder and nothing else. I hope Felix' friend is careful that the financial obligations needed to attend that university are not unreasonable. I have no problem with TM and its methods, but I do have a problem with providing financial support to a cult, hence the reference to that book.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
It is expensive, more so now than it used to be. That's most of why I transferred to the U. of Iowa in 94 to finish up. My wife graduated with an art degree from MIU. How you feel about TM (or how your friend feels about it) will tell you if you need to learn more or if another university would be better suited. TM is an integral part of the university. But, so is soccer, raving/DJing, playing D&D, programming, going on snowboarding trips, and some of the best years of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks