1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Report (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Dec 4, 2019.

1. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]
    Title: The Report

Tagline: Truth matters.

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Scott Z. Burns

Cast: Adam Driver, Annette Bening, Jon Hamm, Ted Levine, Maura Tierney, Michael C. Hall, Tim Blake Nelson, Corey Stoll, Linda Powell, Sandra Landers, John Rothman, Victor Slezak, Guy Boyd, Alexander Chaplin, Joanne Tucker, Ian Blackman, Dominic Fumusa, Joseph Siravo, Sarah Goldberg, Lucas Dixon, Fajer Al-Kaisi, Zuhdi Boueri, Douglas Hodge, T. Ryder Smith, Carlos Gómez, Sean Dugan, Pun Bandhu, Ben McKenzie, Jake Silbermann, Ratnesh Dubey, Scott Shepherd, Julia K. Murney, Daniel London, Jennifer Morrison, Hope Blackstock, Matthew Rhys, Kate Beahan, April Rogalski, James Hindman, Austin Michael Young, West Duchovny, Noah Bean, Evander Duck Jr.

Release Date:

Runtime: 118

Plot: The story of Daniel Jones, lead investigator for the US Senate’s sweeping study into the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program, which was found to be brutal, immoral and ineffective. With the truth at stake, Jones battled tirelessly to make public what many in power sought to keep hidden.

2. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Great movie. Recommended.

Bernard McNair and benbess like this.
  3. Message #3 of 14 Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Agree. Another strong performance by Adam Driver. Intelligent and historically accurate.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I watched it on Prime and it’s a great movie. I’m saddened how little the report accomplished.

5. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    And this looked like a real movie movie, not a TV movie. Surprised it was released on streaming. Was this released theatrically?

6. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Briefly, to independent theaters, just a few weeks ahead of the streaming debut -- just like The Irishman and Dolemite is My Name. Sort of the new normal for major movies from Amazon and Netflix.

7. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Amazon was giving its films fullblown theatrical releases but after a couple of lean years it’s pulling back.

8. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    We watched The Report last weekend and found it fascinating. Adam Driver gave such a superb performance. For me The Report is one of the highlights of my 2019 viewing.

benbess likes this.
  9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    This is definitely on my list of movies for the year.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Saw this tonight. Outstanding. This is one of the best real-life political thrillers I’ve ever seen. It’s an important film that everyone should see. I could see it being taught in college to history and/or political science students.

Johnny Angell and Jake Lipson like this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    They'll still give a title a wide theatrical run if they feel the potential is there to make a lot of money theatricaly. Late Night had a wide release this summer and Honey Boy is currently playing at my 20-screen multiplex. However, they are taking it on a case-by-case basis. The Areonauts is starting at what few arthouses will have it this weekend and then coming to Prime on December 20.

I'm glad you liked it and see your point here. However, as an Amazon movie that did not receive a wide theatrical release or significant promotion, do you think it will become widely-known enough to be taught in colleges? In order for that to happen, it has to make an impact and be found by enough people who want to teach it.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Well, it remains to be seen if it will become more well known. Certainly, some awards and nominations could help that. But really, all it takes is a few savvy professors who recognize the movie. I had a professor in college show Missing (with Jack Lemmon) in a class about human rights, about 6-7 years after the movie was released. Missing had a few nominations and won for Adapted Screenplay, but wasn't a huge hit. If you weren't a movie person, you probably hadn't heard of it. In grad school, a journalism professor showed us Absence of Malice, about 16-17 years after its release. I had seen Absence but 99% of the other students hadn't even heard of it. I think The Report has a future.

Jake Lipson and benbess like this.
  13. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

14. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    This is sad news. With political thrillers you could understand if they release it on streaming, but with a movie that was designed for the big screen? At least give it a chance. Maybe release it 1-3 months theatrically and then stream.