'THE RELIC', one frappin terrifying movie!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Are you afraid of the dark, or more to the point, what's IN the dark? You will be, at least for awhile, after watching this shit-in-your-pants fright fest!
    Now I saw this movie about four years ago on HBO, but it was not under the right conditions to say the least, the lights were on, the audio was coming from the speakers inside the t.v., it was pan n scan, and I was doing other things at the time so I didn't pay it my full attention...until tonight.
    I picked it up at Best Buy just for the hell of it and settled into my HT to check it out, and WHEW BOY, what a monster flick! For those who havn't seen it, and love creature features, RUN don't walk and buy it, you won't be sorry, trust me on this! This damn movie had atmosphere that would choke a Brontosaurus, lighting that was as dark and murky as the dire situation that the films hero's find themselves in.
    I jumped out of my seat on more than a few occassions during this thing, now granted some were cheap scares, but others weren't. Tom Sizemore, before he put on the weight, was great as a cop who gets more than he bargains for when he investigates the grisly murder of a guard at Chicago's Natural History Museum, because the killer is something right out of a fucking nightmare! A creature that lurks in the shadows, and has a fondness for decapitations. It's swift, smart, agile, ferocious, and it's here...somewhere. I love films like this, ones that use shadow and mood to scare, not excessive gore, make no mistake though, this film is EXTREMLY gory, but it does'nt use it as it's primary source for scares. The scares come from the fact that SOMETHING is in the room with you, you can hear it breathing, but you can't see it, that what I call scary.
    The creature itself was created by THE MAN Stan Winston and it ranks with his best work, including the 'Predator'. My only complaint is the rather bad attempt at CG fire at the end, but's that's a minor complaint and doesn't take away from the film in the end.
    If you have a good HT set up, this will up the ante on the scares, it did in my case. The 5.1 was very active overall, and the video is a bit on the soft side, but I think it's an accurate representation of the film even though I never had the pleasure of seeing it in theaters. So pop it in, turn down the lights, crank up the 5.1, and get ready for one frightening HT experience!

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm right there with ya, John. I'm a big fan of The Relic! This one makes a keen triple feature with Mimic and Deep Rising.
    (Yes, I said keen.)

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

This flick kicks ass. I havent seen it for a while. Maybe its time for a revisit.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I don't why this film gets dumped on as much as it does. I'm no fan of Peter Hyams' films by any means, but I love The Relic. I think it's one of the best monster movies of the past ten years. I saw this one in its short theatrical life and was immediately grabbed by its creepy museum setting and the frightening score/sound design. I also can't the believe the incredible Kothoga creature design by Stan Winston isn't better noted as one of the scariest-looking movie monsters ever. I also give points for the movie to actually have good gore for a change; don't see much of that anymore. This one is a keeper.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

First negative opinion [​IMG]
    Didn't like it at all, and I have wanted to watch it for a long time. Finally on the right evening, I rented it and was so bored I nearly fell asleep. I found it extremely predictable, and that is a major turn off for me. I guessed the human origin of the monster from miles away, and found the DNA ID to be a total joke. I was so unimpressed by the monster I can barely remember it, and that was less than 2 months ago!
    Oh well, I am glad you enjoyed it.
    --
    Holadem

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Scott nailed the two other films that this shares company with. The just fit right in the B-movie horror window and don't fail to deliver while never overstepping their bounds. Plus they all have great, if offbeat, casts.

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I'll chime in with a second negative opinion, although the biggest reason I disliked it is because I had read the book and I just think that the movie is an awful adaptation. It's not like the book is great literature but it's basically a fun monster movie right there in the pages. However, Hollywood still can't resist making idiotic changes, including cutting the best character out of the story, gratuitously raising the body count, and having the movie climax with a big explosion [​IMG]
    . All in all, I was disappointed.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Real good B movie, rented it "accidentally", I meant to rent Mimic (and eventually did)[​IMG] . I did not know anything about the movie, but somewhere down the line, I realize it wasn't the "Mimic" thing[​IMG] .
    I was disappointed with the quality of the DVD, I thought a lot of details in dark were lost and the black wasn't crisp either. I like the flick so much that I would have gotten the DVD if it's of better quality.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What really makes this movie scary is the fact that the audience sees exactly what the characters see (which varies from nothing to very little). For instance, the passage though the sewer system, they shine a flashlight to try to illuminate the pitch blackness and all you can see are the areas where the flashlight is pointed at.

Very effective. The book is also great (better than the movie) and the book's sequel "The Reliquary" is even better than the original.

10. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I thought the movie was okay, but the book, as mentioned was far superior. The big chase scene in the book lasts about 50 pages and does an excellent job of keeping you turning from page to page. I think that

the monster lusting after the woman

was ridiculous. For fans of this movie, I definitely recommend this book. The sequal (book) is not as good though, in my opinion.

Kenneth

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I think it's pretty good and am hoping for a re-release of this one on DVD with a bunch of extras. [​IMG]

12. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've gotta say, I'm also a fan of this movie. I cought it at the theater when I was, hmm...lemme think a freshman in High School believe (yes...coinceded with SE releases of Star Wars) and loved it. Nice monster flick, very nice.

14. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I just watched this DVD again and I was surprised that it held up on second viewing. I'm a sucker for films where people are trapped and the "monster is loose". I think the film built up a nice sense of atmosphere and suspense, especially when they are going through the sewers.

The only problem I had was with the CGI monster, mostly when it's on fire, it didn't look very realistic. CGI effects like this always distance me from the film.

15. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Sorry, this movie was just funny to me. My particular favorites are:

The fact that a 2 ton animal can survive on just the tiny hypothalamus of humans. It doesn't need any other nutrients to build and maintain all that mass. Or, the great SWAT team scene with the last member being pulled onto the roof with no bottom half to which his friend pauses, then throws his hands up to heaven and screams! Hee hee. But the kicker is the licking scene at the end. Just ridiculously bad.

16. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Sadly, another negative opinion. Shouldn't have tried to adapt the book. If it stood on it's own (which it didn't resemble the book in most cases) it would have been a good "monster B movie" but...

Novel was great, the books sequal wasn't nearly as good. (wrong motivations of characters)

Don't mean to crap on anyones opinions just my 2cents