"The Register" reports computer gaming kids undeveloped

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Check out this gem from The Register Nothing like an objective piece on a controversial subject, NOT! This is becoming reminescent of that literary masterpiece, The Seduction of the Innocent which correlated comic book reading to criminal behavior in the 50's. [​IMG]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/50/21135.html
    Kenneth

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I'm not sure what the problem is. The reasearch is not from some government or private orginazation pushing its own agenda, but from a university. Seems pretty objective to me.

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I see the problem as a grouping of all gamers into a single category. The study appears to have been conducted in Japan and judging from the comments assumes the gamers are playing primarily action games (which for consoles is most likely the case, but not necessarily computers). In the US there is a better mix of strategy games and games which require more than just hand and eye coordination.
    By pidgeon holing all gamers into the same category it seems to be heading down the path of "The Seduction of the Innocent" which was also a University study. I certainly would agree that children should have limited access to games, as there are many other things they should be exposed to, however, I don't think that gamers in general are underdeveloped. Of course, it could be my own underdeveloped mind that allows me to think that [​IMG]
    Kenneth

4. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

While the comments may assume that Japanese gamers are playing just action games, can anything be further from the truth? There's a wider breadth of gaming choices in Japan than anywhere else in the world, US included. Where else can you get dating simulations, fish raising games, tons and tons of rpg's and all other manner of things.
    Having been subjected to coverage by the register before with my own site, these people are very much the pinnacle of idiocy. Every statement about me and my site was completely wrong and they didn't even contact us for information.
    ------------------
    Chris Beveridge
    Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
    Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box