The Red Violin

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ArthurFlew, May 29, 2004.

1. ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew Extra

Any word on whether or not they are going to release a better DVD for this wonderful movie?

2. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

The best version is still the one released by Universal. It has DTS. However, it´s Out-of-Print and might be hard to find. No other release is better than this, and no new version are expected to be released. So, try get the one from Universal.

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Sten, do you have any details about the SE supposed to be released (in Canada at least) on June 8? We've been wondering about it, exactly what its contents are. The last Canadian release was unworthy.

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

^ well, we know that it'll at least be anamorphic widescreen this time [​IMG]

5. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

So this may be a dumb question, but the version I have is from "Lions Gate Home Entertainment". Is this the Universal version or something different? It only has Dolby Digital, and seems to be the only version for sale right now.

6. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

From what I´ve heard the suppesed Canadian release June 8 are just the same as the Universal transfer... but won´t come with a DTS track.

The Universal release with the DTS track are not the same release as the Lions Gate release. The Universal release has better picture & sound quality, which is the one I have.

The Universal release DVD cover:

[​IMG]

7. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    It would be a shame if they didn't put DTS on this title. It's one of the first DTS titles I bought (it was Universal) and there was such an astounding difference between the Dolby Digital and the DTS tracks that, because of this title, I became a total DTS hound. If the new version doesn't have DTS, I would strongly suggest that you try to buy the Universal version used from someone -- it would be worth it.

8. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

If you have a multi-region player and cannot find the DTS release from Universal then there is the Region 3 version, which also carries a DTS track.

[​IMG]

Link:

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I'm interested to find out if this Canadian SE will be a PAL->NTSC transfer. Since it's from AA and is a non-U.S. film, there will be something wrong with it. Certainly no dts, but I mean something *wrong*...I wonder what this time?

10. ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew Extra

Thanks for that link sten. I just might get that DVD, looks to be a good release.

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yes, it looks like a nice disc, but is it cut? I suspect it is, slightly, but haven't been able to find out for sure. Anyone know?

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I used to own that very same DVD. It is a very poor HK bootleg and the DTS track like every bootleg I have seen/heard is quite poor and pailed in comparisson to the original DD track on the official releases. I didn't even have the heart to sell it, so I gave it to a friend who didn't care about the quality. I do not recall it being editted or cropped though.

13. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

I´m sorry to tell you this, but the region 3 release is not a bootleg. It´s an officail legitimate release.

14. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

If so, its an extremely poor release and pails in comparison to the Universal version.

The copy I bought was from www.koreandvds.com, the same link as posted above.

I guess I assumed it was a bootleg as Korean DVDs sells a lot of bootlegs and the quality was certainly lacking.

If it's official, can you tell us where the transfer came from and who authored the mix? I'm also surprised if it really is an official release why it has not been included in DVD Beaver's comparison of 'The Red Violin' DVDs?

I'll try and get my old copy back and see if I can dig up specifics on that disc myself.

Regardless, if it's official or not, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

15. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

DVD Beaver don´t always compare every release of a given title. You´ll have to ask them why that is. As I don´t have the Region 3 release of Red Violin I cannot comment on the quality, and where the transfer comes from. But thanks for letting us know.

FYI: KoreanDVDs is a legimate retailer, but I guess their DVDs vary in quality.

16. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

As for the Canadian SE version that's coming out, here's the cover from dvdsoon.com:

http://www.dvdsoon.com/product-image...80&quality=0.8

According to them, it'll have English & French 5.1 and English & French 2.0...but no DTS. It'll be anamorphic widescreen, with an audio commentary. Don't know what else it has, but I think I'll stick to my Universal DTS release.

17. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

So will I. The Universal release is still the best one to get.