What's new

The Red Violin, which version? (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I already have Universal's The Red Violin, but then I saw this version over at dvdsoon.com.

So far, I know that the old Alliance release is fullscreen with no extras. The new US version by Lions Gate is said to have a better transfer (although marred by some subtitle problems and a lack of DTS track) according to dvdtalk. So does anyone know anything about this new Universal/Alliance Special Edition?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The US Lion's Gate version isn't new, I bought it a year ago. However I haven't gotten around to watching it yet......:b

It's 16:9 enhanced with Dolby stereo.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ I meant "new" in the sense that it replaced the older Universal version. :) I should have said "newer". :D

Sten F

Second Unit
The best version of Red Violin is the one with DTS made by Universal. However, it´s out-of-print and cost around $ 20.00.

I don´t think the new re-released version that you´ve seen carries a DTS track.

The UPC Code is: 025192067624
The cover looks like this:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
If anybody gets the "new" Alliance version, or sees it and notes the content format, please report back and let us know! I've been waiting for a good version of this, hoping this might be similar content to the one Sten shows, or even better! Thanks.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Beware, I tried ordering the out-of-print WS several times on ebay. The first guy sent me the P/S version EVEN though I had sent him several emails to double-check that it was the 16x9 WS DTS (which he confirmed). This happened again with the next guy and again when I tried ordering used on Amazon! Then the next guy sent me the newer 16x9 WS Aliance version without the DTS and at this point I was so upset with the whole thing (yes, confirmed with him several times as well about the DTS blah blah blah...it was even in his listing) that he just let me keep it without paying. So now that's the version I have...which is very nice, though I'd like that DTS!

-dave :)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I have the one Sten posted. I'm guessing Universal/Alliance is just porting that one over here? Hopefully, it'll be even better as Craig said :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Does the new version have the soundtrack sync issues? Or was that limited to the DTS track that no longer is included?

- Steve

Sten F

Second Unit

I don´t have a sync problem on the DTS version.

I heard the Alliance had a sync problem. What version are you reffering to?

Also, if you´re looking for the Universal DTS version you have to be really, really careful that you´ll be getting the right one. If you´re shopping for it on Ebay, then be extra, extra careful. As DaViD Boulet pointed out in his horror story you don´t want to end up with the wrong version. There aren´t that many DTS version out there, but you can still find it in a few places. However, twenty bucks seem a bit high, though.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am referring to the original U.S. Universal release (which I have...)

- Steve

Sten F

Second Unit

That´s the one I have as well... the one with DTS. I don´t have a sync problem. However, I did come across a review that mention a slight sync error in some scenes:

DVDFILE review

Hello,

i'm aware that a new commentary track was recorded with director, producer and maybe co-writer. This is most probably for this new edition.

Take care,
lpr

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bump.

Kinda complicated. Have been looking forward to seeing this pic since it's Best Score Oscar win.

I was disappointed to receive the Lions Gate (now Lionsgate) disc recently from Netflix--with English subtitles that you must turn on during the French and German, and then turn off during the English scenes--instead of the Universal with the DTS track I'd so been looking forward to.

Will be interesting to see who does what with this title for high definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks