The Red Skelton Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Hug, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Need some help here from the 1950s/1960s TV-on-DVD experts. There are a huge number of public domain DVD releases of The Red Skelton Show available. Have there been any official releases of the show to date? If so, from whom, and are they of decent quality?

2. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Hi Bob. did you ever find any decent quality Red Skelton DVD's?

3. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I''d love to get Skelton TV shows in pristine collection, but we're going to have to settle for public domain (a few sets of which I bought on DVD). One of them has 2 color episodes towards the end (1969 & 1970), and at least that was in its original form including a guest appearance by John Wayne.

In the meantime, you can download and enjoy a number of The Red Skelton Show from the radio. Archive.org has mostly high quality copies of those shows in mp3 format from 1946 through 1952: http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...Aradioprograms

Red's first radio series was Avalon Time in 1939. One of the cast members was his first wife Edna Stilwell, and was also a sketch comedy show.www.archive.org/details/otr_avalontime However it didn't feature any of his famous characters (a few of which were created by Edna for him in his next series -- the one regularly featuring Ozzie & Harriet Nelson in the early 1940s).

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

The releases from the Timeless Media Group are licensed by the Skelton estate but, frankly, the quality looks to be typical PD. These are probably the best that you're going to find on the market and there are some extras that make them a bit better than the other collections out there. Incidentally, Brentwood/BCI Eclipse licensed some of the Timeless episodes so those will be duplicates.

http://www.timelessmusic.com/Video%2...television.htm

5. Brian:C

Brian:C Stunt Coordinator

The Timeless releases are edited and in some cases cut drastically. One release I'd suggest is this one:

Classic Tv Comedy
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=484805

Currently you can find this for $6 at dollar general or a bit more online.

I have to do a list of Skelton shows for the website. There are so many available.

Brian

6. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Resurrecting this thread after I came across this new release from Timeless Media. It contains 23 color episodes from the final season of "The Red Skelton Show." As with other Timeless releases of "The Red Skelton Show," it's licensed by the Skelton estate. Fans of "Ironside" will want to check out episode 2 of disc 1, which includes guest appearances by Raymond Burr and Barbara Anderson.

Red Skelton IN COLOR

7. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura
    "Authorized" means the copyright holders are getting paid... but sometimes not much more than that. I'm having a hard time believing that the masters that I've seen on these discs are from kinescope print material that the family holds... it's far more likely the producers are saving money by recycling older transfers.

To be frank, I think it's a travesty, as Red Skelton's legacy deserves **much** better looking product than what is currently out. (A judicious use of LiveFeed wouldn't hurt, either!)

Having said that, though, one of the Christmas DVD collections from a year ago or so **did** feature some vintage CBS programs from color videotape, which included an edited & re-dubbed version of "Freddy & the Yuletide Doll", a perennial favorite featuring Red & Cara Williams.

-Kevin

8. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

"The Yuletide Doll" in COLOR??? Where can I get it? Also, Jeff, what's the DVD with the 2 color shows? BTW, that Timeless collection is from his final TV season, which was on NBC. We still need the classs later stuff from CBS in color, though. Kevin, have you thought of selling your own line of PD kinescopes on DVD given the Live Feed treatment?

9. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura

Well, the fact that the live broadcast material is only PD in certain countries [and the US isn't one of them!] is the largest obstacle... which isn't to say that it couldn't be overcome, but I haven't been approached by anyone that has the organization to tackle all of that. Maybe someone will come forward at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

I appreciate the thought, though...! [​IMG]

-Kevin

10. Zardon

Zardon Agent

It's buried deep in a box of DVDs in my closet, so I'm not going to check but that's a 3 DVD set as I recall. John Wayne was in one of the episodes, so he and Skelton did a Deadeye western sketch. By that time the series name was shortened to Red and it was late in the run -- probably the 1968 to 1969 season (the 18th season). The other episode was either 18th or 19th season. The show ran until 1971.

One thing about these 2 particular shows: Even though they were in their original color videotaped form, they weren't remastered. So although the video of both looked great, there seemed to be a problem with distortion on the audio track and the sound was very low too.

The other episodes in that set were half-hour episodes from the 1950s and hour-long B & W from the mid 1960s. The mid 60s episodes were NOT in original B & W tape form, and unfortunately we got stuck with kinescope copies...

11. RobertGr

RobertGr Second Unit

Very interesting thread, and interestingly I just saw a commercial yesterday on RFDTV for a Red Skelton collection authorized by the Skelton estate. Here is the website redskeltontv.com

12. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Robert, I finally went to that site and the collection that is being offered is also from Timeless Media, though with different packaging. I haven't had the chance to compare the episodes listed there with what Timeless offers on their own site, but I suspect that there is a fair amount of duplication.