The Real McCoys

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
Neil, you make a valid point and you are without a doubt a knowledgeable man with regards to TV on DVD/classic TV. The general public may or may not know the differences you point out. I remember my ex father-in-law, not a bright bulb by any stretch of the imagination, complaining to me out of the blue about how WGN and TBS were butchering The Beverly Hillbillies. Of course in reality they weren't the ones butchering as they were simply using prints supplied by Viacom that were already butchered.

It was you that pointed out to me that original masters existed for The Real McCoys. SFM claimed the masters were lost when I contacted them. I believe you on that, Neil, as I believe you pointed out there are two different sets of edited masters floating around; one for the TNN episodes and another of 1980's edited masters. Do I expect SFM to spend the dollars to digitally remaster these for hi-def? No, I don't. I do expect that something at least be presented in its original broadcast form and I expect not to be lied to by someone in the releasing company.

If you can live with edited episodes, so be it. I can't and I won't unless the originals don't exist any more. I know music is a different animal than TV on DVD, but there are companies out there such as Bear Family, ACE, Rounder and others who are committed to bringing music to the consumer in the best way possible. The same could be done for classic TV.
Music seems so much cheaper to reproduce

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Just got a notice from Classic Flix:

Real McCoys - The Complete Series Arrives -- 3 Day Special Price
about 2 hours by Kristen Lopez
The popular television comedy The Real McCoys debuts for the first time in a complete series set today.

The box set from SFM Entertainment will contain all six season, 224 episodes, of the Walter Brennan-led family series.

Also back in print is the show's first two seasons, presented with newly remastered picture. Season one and season two were originally released back in 2012.

Retail for the complete set is $118.99. However, for 3 days only (until September 1st), we'll have them for the special price of $104.98.

They mention Season 1 & 2 are remastered. Pretty expensive if they are DVDrs. The box cover looks the same as previous covers. I really want this series, but not syndication edits. I have all the previous sets that were released. I guess I will wait for a review, if it ever gets reviewed. I seem to recall that only the 1st episode was released uncut (26 minutes). The rest were 22+ minutes.

Reactions: Flashgear

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
When I first saw the Classicflix announcement I got super excited because I thought they were releasing it on their own label and just maybe we were finally getting the full-length versions. Then my mind wandered that if they had struck a deal for that show then maybe they could do the Danny Thomas Show on blu ray (at least seasons 4 thru 11)........ oh well :(

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Buyer beware! Or at least, be aware. Received this set. After a spot check, some episodes are uncut. But most are cut. As far as being remastered, i would hate to see unremastered episodes.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I can't say I'm surprised. SFM is about the last of the independent broadcast syndicators and aren't going to spend the money to restore and remaster a big run show like this for an MOD release.

RBailey

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hall
All 6 seasons of THE REAL McCOYS are currently available free for Amazon Prime members. Sadly they are the edited versions. I've been watching the final season episodes which I can't remember ever seeing. My parents must have stopped watching after the switch from ABC to CBS and the loss of Kathy Nolan in the cast. Episode 1 of Season 6 features a beautiful Tina Louise guest starring role and Episode 3 focuses on Andy Clyde and a reunion of his old Army buddies. It's a Killer's Row of old pros in the cast with Emory Parnell, Allen Jenkins and Vince Barnett along with Brennan, Clyde and Madge Blake.

RBailey

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hall
I posted the message above (#70) on another REAL McCOY thread and thought I would repeat it here as well.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subanartneha