What's new

The REAL July Criterions! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rich,

I think you are confusing Louis Malle and Eric Rohmer -- Au Revoir Les Enfants and Murmur of the Heart are directed by Malle. The ones I'm hoping for are May Fools; Lacombe Lucien & Ascenseur pour l'échafaud. What the three have in common, appart from being excellent films, is three of the greatest original jazz soundtracks ever.

So far as Rohmer's Tales of the Four Seasons, unfortunately MGM has Tale of Springtime, so a Criterion box is very unlikely. Same problem with Comedies and Proverbs -- MGM owns Pauline at the Beach. I am expecting a Criterion Six Moral Tales box, but unfortunately, it seems to be taking them for ever. I suspect that getting good film elements is a problem -- I watched some of the early films from the R2 box, and they don't look too hot.

Ted

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
You're absolutely right... how could I have conflated the two?

Anyway, here's hoping that this signals a Criterion rollout of Malle's films... and, just maybe though in a totally unrelated way, a few Rohmer's to boot (the moral tales if not the seasonal ones)! :b

And here's hoping (Artificial Eye?) will do a good job on the latter, as I doubt MGM is even aware of them.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not in July, but I was very happy to read that Kurosawa's RAN is will released this year.

So we'll have a nice release since everyoen seemed to find the Wellspring one to be disappointing.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
There's a note on Criterion's website stating that Candice Bergen (Malle's wife) taped an interview with them about Au Revoir Les Enfants for the upcoming release. Sounds good.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
DVD Soon also have these titles for pre-order, all of them for the same price of $ 49.98CAD each (their usual price for Criteiron 29.95 tier). New Criterion booklet listed Au Revoir les Enfants as $39.95 title. Perhaps, they decided to lower the price or both stores made a mistake.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

That's not true. I've been buying from Amazon for six years now, and have always gotten the price I ordered the item at, even if it went up afterwards. The only time I know Amazon didn't honor price mistakes (and I didn't order this, I just read on a forum), was with a boxset, where they misplaced a decimal point, and it ended up costing very little. This I can understand. But I've always gotten items for the preordered price, if subsequently it went up, say 5-10 dollars.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
A few years ago Amazon.com listed the movie The Insider as costing $0.00 for a brief window of time. In fact I think I read about it on HTF. ;)

I ordered it and the total cost with $2.99 shipping was...$2.99. I know that they didn't legally have to honor their pricing mistake but they definitely did.

Jason-D

Agent
The Frasier Five-season pack was listed for sale at $85 and change on Amazon back in January ($76 with Share the love) and I ordered it. I received an email canceling the order "in keeping with our policy of not honoring price mistakes". This was not a misplaced decimal point (it wasn't supposed to sell for $850). It is their policy to not honor mistakes when they notice them. A few may slip past so YMMV.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Still no sign of the July releases on the Criterion website. The earlier they leak, the later they get announced? :rolleyes

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That Gate of Flesh is exacly like Criterion's Rashomon cover, down to using all the same colors and an identical background. Is this intentional?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I may be misremembering but that circular gradient is on the Rashomon insert. It isn't an exact copy, but damn similar, wouldn't you say. I don't mind it as such, as I'm not interested in Gate of Flesh, but it is kinda strange having these near-identical (at first glance anyway) covers in the collection.

PS: That gradient was also used on Criterion's hallucinogenic Tin Drum cover.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
You're definately onto something with the Tin Drum comparison, Paul, as it also has that gradient circle design.

At the end of the day, you have admit that Criterion have great designers working for them. We can forgive them for the odd spot of repitition. Most people don't care anyway, not consciously, anyway; they are concerned with what films are released as by Criterion and how good the transfer is and how good the extras are for their $20-30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks