The REAL Frequency Extension of your SUBWOOFER

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Sun, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Robert Sun

Robert Sun Agent

Hi,

I have a Sound Dynamics RTS-1000 Subwoofer which in the manual says the frequency extension is as low as 28Hz -3db. I measured it to be only to 33Hz -3dB and could barely even produce anything audible at 25Hz. Is this common? Anyone else find that the quoted freq are not true? If so why are companies allowed to do this?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I have seen the "overall" frequency response listed for speakers and subs and I take that with a grain of salt. It is usually the F10 point in an anechoic chamber, but I don't think there are any industry standards sub manufacturers are required to adhere to, and this practice is underhanded and deceptive.

The anechoic or quasi-anechoic F3 frequency is really the benchmark specification, and even then it should be verified independently by the owner. I have seen one notable and famous OEM (who shall remain unnamed) claim an F3 of 19 Hz for its top sub when in reality it nosedives badly below 30 Hz when tested independently by Weatherhead and Nousaine. That's why we value independent reviews of gear so highly - they separate the hype from the truth.

If you are using the RS meter, make sure to add your correction factors for a more accurate reading. There are many variables besides the RS CF's that may be influencing your readings. Placement and room acoustics come to mind.

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Yes its common for subs,placement and room may have an effect.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

5. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just checked mine. I have a Vandersteen V2W. Manufacturer specs say -3 dB is 20 Hz. When I use a discrete test tone CD and the Radio Shack meter (with cal "adjustment"), I get close enough to flat output to 21 Hz, and then -8 dB at 20 Hz. Darn close! [​IMG]