What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn cross paths and strike sparks in Joseph Anthony’s faithful 1956 adaptation of Richard Nash’s play The Rainmaker, an intricate character piece that’s both humorous and endearingly moving.

The Rainmaker (1956)

Released: 13 Dec 1956
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 121 min

Director: Joseph Anthony
Genre: Romance, Western

Cast: Burt Lancaster, Katharine Hepburn, Wendell Corey
Writer(s): N. Richard Nash

Plot: During the Depression, a con-man promises rain to a desperate drought-ridden Kansas town and marriage to a local desperate spinster.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Matt for yet another fine and informative review! Great to hear that The Rainmaker looks as good as we would hope for, among the best HD presentations of a VistaVision film that we've had on home video. I can hardly wait to see the new Blu! The Rainmaker is a treasured artifact from the 1950s, and an essential in my book. One of the magnificent Kate's career best.

I can now order it with confidence, which is more than I can say about another KL Blu dropping the same day (which I'll buy regardless, hoping for the best), The Counterfeit Traitor.

Kino-Lorber continues to delight us. I have another order from them on the way right now!

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Doesn’t sound like the film is to his taste, but that wouldn’t affect the description of the anomalies he noted. That said, unless it’s a faulty transfer that Kino would consider defective, which it doesn’t sound like this is, it’s the best this movie is going to get on home video. So that’s not going to be a factor other than the possibility of disappointment that the issues weren’t corrected before release. I didn’t detect other early reviews noting a problem, so hoping it won’t affect viewing pleasure. My take on the film is far more positive than the reviewer on YouTube.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I’m not sure how credible this review is. He talks about dancing and musical numbers. What is he talking about here? The Rainmaker is NOT a musical. I should have my copy on Friday, so I’ll see for myself regarding the transfer.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’m not sure how credible this review is. He talks about dancing and musical numbers. What is he talking about here? The Rainmaker is NOT a musical. I should have my copy on Friday, so I’ll see for myself regarding the transfer.
I wasn’t clear on that point either. Of course, the story was musicalized as 110 in the Shade in 1963, but this isn’t that. Perhaps he was referring to Earl Holliman’s character, who is somewhat animated at times with his affection for Snookie. A scene with the two of them? Not remembering off the top of my head. But it didn’t ring a bell with me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Rainmaker Bluray review at 11:00..... Not Good news for fans of this movie.

Why on earth would anyone post the YouTube amateur reviewing a disc? That's question one. Question two, is this 6K scan off the VistaVision negative (large format) or some 35mm internegative?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Why on earth would anyone post the YouTube amateur reviewing a disc? That's question one. Question two, is this 6K scan off the VistaVision negative (large format) or some 35mm internegative?
YouTube is full of so-called reviews of everything from hi-fi equipment to packaged holidays posted by amateurs with large egos and slim knowledge. Why anyone watches them I don't understand.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Maybe the youtube "review" was posted for our amusement :)

According to the Kino Lorber Insider The Rainmaker Blu-ray goes back to a 6K scan of the VV negative:

I just checked Park Circus but unlike To Catch a Thief and The Court Jester this version of The Rainmaker cannot be found on that site - would be interesting to know if they produced a 4K DCP.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I appreciate that. Thanks so much!
Yup, a beautiful video presentation that I'm totally happy with after watching the entire movie. I then sampled Julie Kirgo's audio commentary, but I stopped because I started to watch "The Counterfeit Traitor" (1962) Blu-ray.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I had been holding this to show to my uncle visiting from California. He’s never been a movie goer, so we have introduced him to some of the great films (My Fair Lady) or shown him upgrades of classics (this visit The Wizard of Oz and Casablanca in 4K, both of which impressed him mightily). We watched this last night and I must say I’ve never seen it look nearly this good before; it was just splendid both visually and audibly. The performances may be at a theatrical pitch that modern audiences may find a little jarring, but they’re right on the money for the material and the Hepburn magic makes Lizzy enormously vulnerable and touching, and Lancaster hints at depths and his own vulnerabilities for the character of Starbuck, indeed a precursor of Elmer Gantry four years later. I’ve always had a soft spot for The Rainmaker, and it has been done full justice with this release. The quality upgrade is like seeing it for the first time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks