1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Quiller Memorandum - Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thanks for the review. It seems this is better than the sub-par U. K. disc so I'll be upgrading. I like Senta Berger in this more than in any other film.

3. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Great review. I haven't yet upgraded to the Blu, so this is a nice reminder.

While it's true the original source novel of QUILLER is in the serious John Le Carre mode, the script was written by Harold Pinter, and is in many sequences studded with a wry, ironic humor. The apparent soberness of the film's style helps to bring out the humor of the film's script.

For instance, George Sanders and Robert Helpmann play two upper level bureaucrats who are discussing the ins and outs of the plot at the former's posh club.

Sanders: "How is the duck?"
    Helpmann: Very good."
    Sanders: Yes. They do that well here."
    Helpmann: "What's that?"
    Sanders: "Duck."

There's also a very funny scene where Alec Guinness is attempting to demonstrate the precariousness of George Segal's position by using the raisins from a pastry, which he then proceeds to eat.