The Quiet Earth ( UK release )

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Campbell, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I picked up the UK edition of 'The Quiet Earth' today ( As far as I'm aware it's the only version of this great movie currently available on DVD ).
    I have to say that I was highly disappointed with the release. Aside from a pretty poor photo gallery there's no extras and worse than that, it's a 4:3 image [​IMG] ( I'm not sure if it's open matte or pan and scan ). The image and sound quality are not much better than VHS, but at least Api has his proper voice. In some prints he was dubbed over with a more generic accent and it sounded awful.
    On the plus side, the disc is incredibly cheap ( only £4.99 from Blackstar.co.uk ) and it's region 0.
    Hopefully this movie will get better treatment when released elsewhere. I'll be keeping my eye out for a region 4 version in particular.

2. Werner Heimmer

It's much better than any VHS I've seen and of course it's much much better than nothing.

I'd say there is some pan/scan motion but only in 1-2 scenes. Perhaps the picture has been cropped slightly.

I'm very happy with it.