What's new

The Queen Mother has died (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Reveling in meeting and chatting to new people ("If we do not pass on, I shall soon pass out," her husband once said as Elizabeth persisted in chatting at a public appearance), she was also eternally tactful and diplomatic. At a luncheon on a trip to South Africa, she once listened patiently as an irate Afrikaaner mayor complained about the indignities his countrymen had suffered at the hands of the English. "Oh, I do understand so well," Elizabeth responded. "That's just how we feel about them in Scotland."
And once, after touring a garden in London, she stayed on for tea. "I hear you like gin?" her hostess blurted out, instantly afraid of appearing tactless. But the queen mother thought it delightful.
"I hadn't realized I enjoyed that reputation," she replied. "But as I do, perhaps you could make it a large one."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
During the war the Queen refused to evacuate to Canada and even learned to use a revolver in case the enemy tried to kidnap her.

------------------------------------------------------------

Although being decidely anti-monarchist, this is one thing that raises her in my estimation. With the exception, possibly, of Queen Elizabeth, if a similar situation occurred today, the pack you have in there now would probably have their tickets to Australia before the first bomb fell.

May She Rest In Peace.

Ike

Screenwriter
Us Americans have always had a facination with royalty... probably because we know we can never have any of our own.
I've never found the Royals a big subject here, except when Dianna died. Even today, most of the cable news stations covered the bomb in Israel instead of her death. So little is known, in fact, about the Royals here, that most people didn't even know what a Queen Mother was. One person I asked still thought she was the Queen.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen much fascination with the royals here either. Maybe the Kennedy's, but that's another subject altogether. From the media reports I've seen, it seems to me that the British are much more interested in celebrities and the royals and such than Americans are.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
So little is known, in fact, about the Royals here, that most people didn't even know what a Queen Mother was. One person I asked still thought she was the Queen.
I really hope they were joking. I mean - come on!! it is pretty self explanatory, and even if you didn't know who she was I am sure most could guess!!!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased and somewhat surprised by the level of indifference being expressed towards the monarchy by Brits in this thread.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think the typical Brit attitude to the Royals often takes non-Brits by surprise. However, the image portrayed in the media gives a rather misleading impression. It's like watching Jerry Springer's show and thinking tht all Americans are like that. A sizeable minority of Brits are solidly royalist (they were the ones responsible for those rather embarassing excesses after Diana's death), a smaller minority are republicans, but the majority of us are indifferent about the Royal Family.

It doesn't mean we hate the Royals; just that they're part of the established fabric of the country. The Queen Mother was more popular than most (and deservedly so) but the fact that she was very old and therefore the death was expected will probably blunt the emotional level of the occasion.

Ike

Screenwriter
I understood she was the Queen's mother, but I was always under the impression one was the Queen until you died.

(Again, someone explained to me later about the bloodline, but that's not the point-the point is I-nor several people I asked-didn't know much about the Royals.)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think it's fair to say that I prefer our Royal family to the possibility of a presidential election in this country, which is, after all, what would happen without them.
I think the fact that the Queen and Queen mother both have/had the name Elizabeth added to the confusion people might have about this.
From the media reports I've seen, it seems to me that the British are much more interested in celebrities and the royals and such than Americans are.
The rule is normally to go for the opposite of whatever the media say. ;)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I'm pleased and somewhat surprised by the level of indifference being expressed towards the monarchy by Brits in this thread
I think the indifference largely stems from the younger generation, whereas the older generation still hold the monarchy in high regard. I personally am sorry that she has died, but no more so than I would be if any other public figure died. However, for the older generation, especially those who lived through the war, the Queen Mother was highly regarded.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
She was a nice lady, kept her nose clean I think (much like her daughter). This must really put a strain on Alizabeth II. She will be missed

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think the indifference largely stems from the younger generation, whereas the older generation still hold the monarchy in high regard.
So Simon, does it seem reasonable to think that support for the British monarchy will die in a couple of generations?

Ike

Screenwriter
To prove it's not just Texans that don't know about royalty ( ;) ), Regis Philbin asked today on Live who was going to be the new queeen. I told you most Americans don't know/care about the Royals.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The headline news in this morning's (London) Times is that the Royal Family is incensed that the BBC TV presenters aren't wearing black as a sign of mourning (surprisingly, the commercial channel presenters are). The link (though I doubt it'll be up for more than today) is:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-254788,00.html
If this doesn't work, try:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/
An no, this isn't a late April Fool's joke in dubious taste.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Myself as well as most Canadians that I know of, have no use for the monarchy

However, she was a symbol to many in Britain, and a family member to many, and a wonderful soul.

God rest her soul.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have to say it was a bit of a minor 'oh dear, thats rather unfortunate' but nothing more when I heard the news. Watching the news last night though, they had Prince Charles (a guy I normally don't have much time for), who seems genuinely upset that his Gran has died, which makes it feel a bit more real, somehow. As a public figurehead she seemed to be fine if you want that sort of thing, but its always sad for their family.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I think the indifference largely stems from the younger generation, whereas the older generation still hold the monarchy in high regard.
Maybe. But then, maybe the "indifference" is just felt that way by people who don't have a monarchy. If you have, you are more free to carelessly (so to speak) say what you think about it, and even a bit of a stiff upper lip demands for some relativating remarks, doesn't it?
BTW, the French are even more obsessed by monarchies. Guilt, I suppose. :)
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks