What's new

Blu-ray Review The Qatsi Trilogy Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The stupid thing is, if I watched it I'd probably like it. I've been wrong and pleasantly surprised before. I wouldn't of read the review if I wasn't interested in the first place. I never really understood what the film was "about". Matt's review summed up the films and they sound like ones I don't have much patience for, certainly not at the $50 minimum price tag I can get in Canada.

The way I got jumped on though, you'd think this film was Star Wars or cured cancer. It's ridiculous.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Nah, its just something that's kind of fascinating that can suck you in if you're in the mood.
I wouldn't have got it either if I wasn't collecting the entire set of Criterions lol

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had a chance to see the first one with pHilip Glass live in Philly maybe around 1983-84, but the person I was going with didn't get back to mean time. Oh we'll.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, I threw the match on once Russell stacked the wood and poured on some gas.
It is like people going "I don't like classical music, but that that tune used in the UPS commercial is cool"...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Now that both of you have aired your grievance can we talk about the set and stop bickering.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A high school English teacher showed us Koyaanisqatsi, on VHS. As a young teen, I was amazed at this introduction to both Philip Glass and non-story cinema. I bought the soundtrack on cassette tape and listened to it through high school. Pre-Internet, I heard of the trilogy, and eventually got the Powaqaatsi, also on tape. But it was as good. I never saw or heard the finale, not surprising as it only came out recently, I see and I'd long since forgotten about this '80s gem.
I won't be buying this unless I can get it bargain basement. I don't think I could sit though it today. But it makes me happy to know its still out there maybe for kids to discover anew and have their minds blown like mine was :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone remember aout ten years ago when this was made available at a Premium price, like maybe 3 or 4 hundred dollars by Glass or whoever had the films?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
schan1269 said:
Or you can watch it via Netflix and Hulu. Wouldn't be surprised if Vudu has it.
The whole uninterrupted feature's on YouTube, left over from the days when MGM had some films up for free.
(Seems to me we're running out of "Hey, hands are tied, not my fault!" reasons not to watch it, apart from the obvious "jerk" theory.)
TonyD said:
Anyone remember aout ten years ago when this was made available at a Premium price, like maybe 3 or 4 hundred dollars by Glass or whoever had the films?
That was basically a $150 Kickback MOD (way back before Kickback was invented), to help Reggio pay off his legal bills for that lawsuit with Mike Nesmith, regain the rights to the first two movies, sell them to MGM, and raise the rest of the money to finish filming Naqoyqatsi.
A worthy enough charity (and tax-deductible), even though its main purpose was to make the Kickback disk obsolete. :(

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The kickback disc was open matte so you see the full image, and autographed. I don't consider it obsolete.

Tony - too bad you missed it live. I had the chance once in the early 90s and it was an incredible experience - seeing it on a giant screen with the music booming as only live music can...

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Moe Dickstein said:
To be fair, I don't think Russell started the jerk-off
Gotta be a better way to say that... :)
TonyD said:
You can put stuff you're selling in your sig now, hmm.
I have no idea how long you've been able to do it because I haven't needed it until recently, but yeah. So long as you're selling it in the "Classifieds" here at HTF, you can add it to your signature from your user control panel. You can have up to three things.
TonyD said:
To this day I wish I'd gotten it. Totally worth the price for such a unique and fun little release. Alas...

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Paul D G said:
The kickback disc was open matte so you see the full image, and autographed. I don't consider it obsolete.
Exactly. The aspect ratio debate on this film has been extreme over the years and I don't really want to open that all up again, but there's no denying many of the shots look composed more properly in the open matte presentation (whereas the matting chops off some tops of buildings, top of the rocket, and some other things). I do like both presentations, though, as many other images look great matted. That said, the kickback disc is truly one of the most prized DVD's I own. It also had better resolution than the later MGM disc, so it was always the disc I'd pull out to watch the film. By the way, it wasn't a MOD - it was a very limited pressed disc and the actual cost was $180. It came in a paper sleeve signed by Reggio. I also still have the packing slip Thank You letter dated August 10, 2001 - just one month before 9-11.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What is a "kickback" disc? I have the limited edition IRE DVD in the signed paper sleeve, and it sounds like this is what you're talking about, but this is the first time I've heard that specific term.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I think someone just coined that term above so we all just grabbed onto it. Yes, we aare talking about the IRE disc. :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JeffMc said:
I think someone just coined that term above so we all just grabbed onto it. Yes, we aare talking about the IRE disc. :)
The Kickback.com charity site often has struggling filmmakers promising a MOD copy of their indie film as an eventual reward for those who put up a set minimum amount of money to help film it.
The site wasn't around back then, but still pretty much the same concept as IRE came up with on their own. I put up the money just to help the movie get out of legal limbo (thought it literally never would if I didn't), but I had to sell it off to another collector just to pay for the tab, once the mainstream disk release was announced. I wasn't that much of a collector.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Are you talking about Kickstarter? Kickback.com sells soccer equipment. But yeah, I understand the connection now.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Quote:
Originally posted by schan1269

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Or you can watch it via Netflix and Hulu. Wouldn't be surprised if Vudu has it.[/COLOR]

Apparently you are not aware of how lame the selection on Netflix is in Canada. Hulu and Vudu are not available in Canada, and the MGM stream on YouTube is region restricted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm pretty sure I don't have it on NF in the states either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.