What's new

The Punisher (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
mine is on order and should arrive anyday will post a mini review if any one wants and have the r1 so can compare

James T

Screenwriter
Not sure which to buy?

The special features on the R1 have the director saying there's about 30 mins of footage cut regarding a subplot. Maybe if the Daredevil 1.5(or whatever they're calling it) sells well, we might see a Punisher Director's cut.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I've watched the R3 DTS version; it's pretty aggressive, but not sure if it's worth the investment 'cos the film is probably the worst I've seen in a long time. The photography and direction is amateurish :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

That's your opinion, but I saw nothing amateurish with the photography and direction of "The Punisher". Frankly, this was an entertaining film, with an excellent Surround EX track. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
From what I've heard the R0 Hong Kong (Universe) (is it the version you are talking about here, the R3?) has a DTS track, but drops the following features that were on the R1 Lions Gate:

-Commentary by director Jonathan Hensleigh
-Army of One: "Punisher Origins" featurette
-"Drawing Blood Bradstreet Style" featurette
-2 Deleted Scenes (4mins)
Music Video:
- Drowning Pool "Step Up"
-The Punisher Video Game Trailer.

It is also two discs. I suppose losing some of these features is not a big deal since I rented the R1 and viewed them and don't think they are worth much. The DD 5.1 EX was outstanding, but am wondering how this version (the R0) pans out.

Koreandvds.com lists it as being R3, but dvdcompare.net says its R0. It's also only $9.99 on koreandvds and has, IMO, better cover art as well.

Can anyone comment on this version and the quality of the picture and audio?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I loved this film. It's exactly what a action movie should be. It's got some brutal fights and death scenes, humor, and some cool cars. Plus Jane looked and acted just like the Punisher should act.

The extras are nice. And from the commentaries, you can tell everyone involved with the project respected the comics and wanted to portray them the best they could.

Yea, some things aren't perfect. The music is ok. But they did well for the low budget considering it is a action flick.

Underrated movie.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Does anyone know if the R3 release is the same or identical to the R0 one, which is suppose to have DTS also? Are they the same, with the R3 being R0, or are they different?

Porfirio

Second Unit
From davisdvd.com:

"Lionsgate Home Entertainment has sent us more details regarding the upcoming The Punisher: Extended Cut. This extended version of the film - presented in anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1 Surround - will feature over 17 minutes of additional material worked back into the film. Bonus materials will include an audio commentary with director Jonathan Hensleigh, a making-of featurette, The Punisher Comic Book Gallery (featuring select past and present comic book covers), downloadable ringtones and digital comic books for cell phones.

Also included in the set is the never-before-seen "Animated Kuwait Deleted Scene." Originally slated to open the film, this scene was never shot and, in a groundbreaking DVD first, audiences finally will be able to enjoy this scene recreated in animated form and starring Thomas Jane and Russell Andrews. Retail will be $19.98."

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I might pick that up, depending on what the 17 additional minutes include. I liked "The Punisher" a lot, and I'm looking forward to the sequel (but it looks like it's going to be a while before that even begins filming).

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I loved the film, being a big Punisher fan myself. Especially of the Garth Ennis run which the film is based on. Tom Jane was perfect as Frank! Some of the best casting of the last few years.

Can't wait for the Extended Cut DVD. The animated Kuwait sequence sounds very cool, although I would have liked for them to shoot it in live action like they originally planned to do for this Extended Cut. But I guess it'll have to do. The extra 17 minutes will detail a subplot involving Frank's FBI Agent friend who ends up betraying him and I believe he's the one that gives Howard Saint the information as to where Frank would be so that the Saint's could kill him and his family. Basically Frank stalks him and the FBI Agent ends up committing suicide because of the guilt. They went through some of this on the original DVD.

Also, DTS-ES! :emoji_thumbsup:

Esten

Supporting Actor
Think we'll ever get another release of the Lundgren version of "The Punisher"? I find myself watching that one more than the Jane version.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Interesting news about this new version of The Punisher. They filmed the movie around where I live in Florida. I got to go to a press day on the set, and a good friend of mine was a stand-in, so I suppose there's two more copies sold. :)

Here's a sample of a video I made going to a few of the shooting locations:
http://www.minerwerks.com/video060.html

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Has anyone bought this DVD in Canada?

I don't think it's out here, despite the fact that Lionsgate is a Canadian company. We can probably thank Alliance-Atlantis for this, since they distributed the first DVD in Canada.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Has anybody checked out the Extended Cut yet?

I bought it yesterday but I haven't had the time to pop it in yet...maybe tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks