The PS3 will play pre-recorded Blu-ray discs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard Paul, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Sony has announced that the PS3 will be able to play pre-recorded Blu-ray discs. The Blu-ray Founders also announced that the BD-ROM standard will be finalized by September 30.

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Damn, beat me to it! [​IMG]

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Sneaky sneaky, Sony! Begun, the Format Wars have.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Shouldn't this thread be moved to A/V Sources?

5. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

wipe them out all of them

6. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

From what I can gather one of the big reasons for Sony wanting to buy MGM is for its huge library of movies. With both Columbia and MGM libraries Sony would have an upper hand in pushing its format to the front. Talks have quieted down for the moment. Time-Warner is also looking at buying MGM and they seem to be leaning to HD-DVD. Who ever buys MGM and its library may be the Key to the new format. In MHO.

7. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

And later today, Microsoft announced that their Next Xbox will play pre-recorded WM9 discs.

[​IMG]

You know it's coming, and why not bring the info to you first as well! [​IMG]

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Or how about Video Game Hardware.

9. Richard Paul

Since many past threads on both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have been in HT Software I believe this thread can be here.

What I consider the biggest question is whether the Blu-ray Founders (BDF) will go either the cheap way or the expensive way. The cheap way will be MPEG-2 and Dolby Digital. The expensive way will be MPEG-4 FRExt/WM9 and DD+/WMA. I have heard that the BDF is seriously looking at including MPEG-4 FRExt, which is an extension of the AVC codec. If the BDF goes the cheap way then the PS3 will be from $300 to $400, while the expensive way would cause the PS3 to be from $500 to $600.

Do you think the BDF will go the cheap way or the expensive way?

10. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I don't see how the "cheap" or "expensive" way will make much of a difference, if any, to the price of the PS3. When the console is playing a movie that is ALL it's doing, so all they have to do to support the codecs is to write the appropriate software for movie playback - the disc housing and laser would be the same regardless which is the major factor in terms of cost. The computing hardware isn't going to be any slouch, so I hardly think worries over whether it can support the codecs aren't much of any issue.

Then, of course, when the console is playing a game it's just using the disc like a DVD or CD just more storage basically, the codecs and whatnot for prerecorded film media don't generally come into play when playing a game.

11. Richard Paul

I believe that WM9 and MPEG-4 FRExt will be beyond the processing capability of the PS3 CPU. I'll use a conservative estimate that either codec will have a maximum bit rate of 16 Mbps on Blu-ray. WM9 takes a 3 Ghz CPU at 8 Mpbs so at 16 Mbps it will take at least a 5 Ghz CPU to decode it. MPEG-4 FRExt will probably take at least a 10 Ghz CPU to decode it since it is even more advanced than AVC, which was already harder to decode than WM9. I can't imagine the PS3 having more than a 3 Ghz CPU and therefore it seems to me that it would require a hardware decoder. I would expect that the decoder boards would initially cost around $200 even if made in quantity. Also an added benefit of hardware decoding is that it would allow game programmers to have compressed video running in the game without using the CPU.