Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:
Interested to hear your thoughts since you also have the Roku 4, Robert
Well, I'm not having the same issues as you remote-wise because I have a Logitech-Harmony Elite Remote I'm using instead of the Apple Remote. So far, so good as it replaced the previous Apple TV model in my main HT setup, I will play with it some more tomorrow. Also, it's not a either/or situation for me as I want both Roku and Apple TV for all three of my HT setups in my home. I'll be moving that old Apple TV to my HT computer room tomorrow which will complete all three HT setups.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

I won't have mine till next week. Any special way I should set it up with my iPhone or it does it automatically?

P

Patrick Donahue

Ronald Epstein said:
Sam,

I won't have mine till next week. Any special way I should set it up with my iPhone or it does it automatically?
It will ask you if you want to set it up with your iPhone as soon as you plug it in, then you just follow the prompts - just make sure you are running the newest version of iOS

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick Donahue said:
It will ask you if you want to set it up with your iPhone as soon as you plug it in, then you just follow the prompts - just make sure you are running the newest version of iOS
Patrick Donahue said:

I am usually on the latest beta

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK text entry blows. They need to make 2 lines one for lower and 1 for upper. And add bluetooth support for keyboards immediately.

Pro tip! LONG PRESS on a letter to choose it as uppercase. Helpful for passwords etc.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok. So, I've had twenty four hours to play with the new AppleTV. I also of course have the Roku4, an XBOX1, PS4, etc. and yes, I tried this in the main theater (photos here on HTF when I assembled it, designed as 4K) So, here are some thoughts:

Pros:

* Setup of this unit is immaculately well polished, it sets up very snappy and slick and that is a great sign. I think a lot of first time users are going to be really impressed.

* The app base for a start is pretty solid for a start and should grow quickly *gasp* *gasp* Plex/Emby support needed *gasp* *gasp*

* The design of the unit is also top notch and puts many other devices (like my Roku4/etc.) to shame in the way that it looks

* Screensavers are fantastic, and my gut tells me they must have been done originally in 4k then trimmed back.

Cons:

* One thing that really bothers me is this: on the Roku since the 3, PS4, XBOX1, Nexus and basically every other device there is one truly breakthrough feature for me: a port on the remote or controller for a headphone set. I'm surprised with the acquisition of Beats this wasn't something Apple has done.. because it just works so well on all of those devices to redirect audio so that people aren't up all night.

* To go along with that, far more than the Roku and of course more than the Sony (which I think is bluetooth connected if I remember right) the Apple Remote really seems to have a line of sight type thing going on; I often find I have to reach backwards to trigger it, as my projector and equipment is behind me.

* While I don't have an easy way to test this.. because right now I don't have a client that will stream anything to it since it doesn't do DLNA, I'm at least told there is no bitstream audio passthrough for HD audio. Again, for a big part of the user base, they probably don't care about the lack of DTS, DTS-HD or DD-HD, but at nearly $200, it is something I expected. I'm aware most of the other boxes are DTS/DD Bitstream without HD Support (few handle the HDs) still... it is something I want, and bitstreaming at least DD/DTS is minimal (IMHO)

One thing is true with TV integration devices to me: there is no perfect answer. There just isn't. There are things I like a lot about every device; to me, AppleTV strikes me as the most polished way to bring simple apps into the livingroom. Which is nice.But for those considering the $200 version, it strikes me as an odd duck; for significantly less money, the Roku, Nexus, and Amazon units get a few things really right (the headset in the remote being huge for me) and both also support bitstream audio, DLNA, etc.

Now.. here is the dealbreaker pro or con for Apple. Right now, I've been playing with Amazon Wink with Echo. And it is pretty slick for automation. That said, Apple's HomeKit could be fantastic.. all things depend. To me, the reason to get the appleTV was on the idea that HomeKit really takes off and then all of the sudden, I want to transfer on to HomeKit.

That is a HUGE potential feather in AppleTV's cap. Huge.

What AppleTV really demonstrates though is that people watch TV so radically differently and want different things from it that which device you choose will largely be based on that. I love my DVR/etc. and I watch a lot of shows, but the thing I value about TV most is live news, sunday morning talk shows, and sporting events.

Right now, the device that comes closest to accomplishing what I want is really the XBOX1. By passing through the HDMI to my XBOX1, it controls my DVR/TV, and of course I have all of the major apps.... but again, the cost delta between it and the Apple is a fair jump (though right now you can find the XB1 for $249 locally vs. $199 for the new AppleTV).. for others, access to the apple library and services may be big, big benefits.

I think there is a lot to like about the new AppleTV, and for some users it is probably perfect; the simple setup is great. The layout is solid. The performance is pretty good. Other users won't find what they are looking for due to other reasons (lack of plex, bitstreaming, headphone output in remote, etc.)

I think all of these devices are coo/neat with different upsides and downsides.

I didn't have the problem with the keyboard the way Sam does.. it's annoying, but far from the worst.. still could be improved.

P

Patrick Donahue

Thanks for your thoughts, Matt. A few comments:

1) Apple means for you to hook up headphones via Bluetooth. I'm fine with Apple taking that route vs. the remote port. I tried it once on the Roku and wearing headphones with a remote dangling from it was a bit... awkward...

2) The bitstream issue - is that why on my receiver it's saying Multi In whereas when using my Roku it says Dolby Digital Plus? As I said in my review, I find the sound coming from ATV terrible compared to the Roku...

3) I have to shake my head every time I'm hunting and pecking to add text. I mean I'm holding a microphone in my hand!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Patrick Donahue said:
Thanks for your thoughts, Matt. A few comments:

1) Apple means for you to hook up headphones via Bluetooth. I'm fine with Apple taking that route vs. the remote port. I tried it once on the Roku and wearing headphones with a remote dangling from it was a bit... awkward...

2) The bitstream issue - is that why on my receiver it's saying Multi In whereas when using my Roku it says Dolby Digital Plus? As I said in my review, I find the sound coming from ATV terrible compared to the Roku...

3) I have to shake my head every time I'm hunting and pecking to add text. I mean I'm holding a microphone in my hand!

As to (2) Yep.. that's why.. the AppleTV just puts out multi-channel audio, it doesn't transmit the bitstream, and it doesn't transmit the bitstream of anything; DD+ 7.1 decoded is as far as it goes.. so that's the DVD-Bitstream channel decoded; no HD Audio formats.. I asked at Apple store today and was told pretty point blank it's not supported for HD audio because "who needs it".

I do get it on the bluetooth headset.. I guess, for me, since I rotate between either earbuds or good headphones... which I haven't found any really good headphones that are bluetooth. I'll keep looking, but I'm really liking my AIAIAI TMA's, so it's hard for me to just switch because Apple wants me to, when I can use these with every device I have otherwise.

But I grasp that is what they are going for probably. And it is how they are "different" I guess I just so appreciate it - especially from the XBOX1 & PS4, where gaming on headsets rather than having your whole family hear at 11PM is sooooo much better.

P

Patrick Donahue

That's HUGELY disappointing re: the audio, and might be a deal breaker for me. I switched between the same scenes in newer movies like Tomorrowland and Mad Max using the ATV and Roku 4 and the difference is night and day. Picture/sound trump how slick the interface looks - for me at least... :(

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
So, loving the new Apple TV but I found something very interesting.

So, I asked Siri to find "Kate Beckinsale" films and she pulled up all of her films. I chose UNDERWORLD and it showed that I have the ability to play the film but it also shows that it's available on Netflix and iTunes.

What's interesting is that I bought this film off iTunes a long time ago but I have since deleted it, so it's not technically in my iTunes purchased section. It's in the hidden section. Even weirder, when I pushed play, it plays the theatrical cut of the film as it was released in 2003. iTunes doesn't carry that version of the film anymore. They have listed two versions of the film, theatrical and unrated but both films in iTunes have the exact running time of 2hrs and 13 minutes, which is the length of the underrated film.

Even more strange is the fact that if I go to iTunes instead of push the play button, it shows that I have to purchase it...which makes sense if it's not in my purchased section.

The even stranger, more weird aspect of all of this is that I know it's not pulling it from Netflix because the theatrical cut that I'm playing now is different from the one on Netflix. The one of Netflix is slightly different in that the Sonya flashback sequences have been reedited to include the same sequences from UNDERWORLD RISE OF THE LYCANS, but it's been spliced into film as now the "new" flashback sequence that Michael experiences in the 3rd act.

So, I tried this again with a couple of different films that I had purchased at one time but have since deleted and are in my hidden purchases and sure enough, it shows that I could play the film but if I choose "Open In iTunes", it shows that I either have to rent said film or buy said film.

Is it possible that iTunes remembers pass purchases on this new Apple TV even if I don't have the film selected in my purchase section any longer?

Sorry for the long explanation but I know this isn't right.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Sam,

I finally have a piece of equipment before Ron Epstein.;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
I finally have a piece of equipment before Ron Epstein. ;)

Haha. I didn't rush delivery this item since I already owned the older Apple TV. I can wait a few more days.

But, yes, that's a feat not often accomplished.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have the older Apple TV. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how the new one compares to the old model.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Haha. I didn't rush delivery this item since I already owned the older Apple TV. I can wait a few more days.

But, yes, that's a feat not often accomplished.
Ron,

I'm just messing with you. I have two of the older Apple TV units myself and I wasn't planning on buying this latest model until later in the year. However, I noticed my local Best Buy which is less than 10 minutes from my house had them in-stock so I just bought it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I considered upgrading the AppleTV in my living room HT but since my receiver doesn't have HDMI, the lack of optical or digital coax on the new AppleTV is a deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks