What's new

The Progression of CGI = No More Muppet-esque Films? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Dark Crystal is a childhood favorite, and I re-watched it recently. I was struck by how much a work of art this movie was. Technically, it was also very impressive. Perhaps "Muppetry" peaked with this movie.

I also miss Muppets in movies. As TDC showed, it's possible to create a complete, and interesting, movie using puppets. Just like can be done with traditional cel animation, computer animation, and claymation (stop motion animation).

But I fear its demise, for three reasons.

1) Echoing others, I imagine it's very expensive.

2) It's probably a dying art form, with few people who can craft or operate the puppets.

3) Puppets tend to look unrealistic.

As much fun as it is to mock today's poorer CG efforts, I think puppets are often just as bad, in terms of realism. From what I've seen, puppets (and full-body suits) almost always look like puppets. And not like real creatures. Just as CG tends to have a too-shiny, plastic appearance, puppets tend to look like too-rigid, sculpted foam.

So for movies like Star Wars, I can't say puppets are superior to the CG equivalent. But for movies like TDC, where they are an organic part of the artistry, the results can be stunning. That I miss.

As for Yoda: The current Yoda is obviously a CG concoction. But the original Yoda was obviously a doll on someone's hand. Neither is "realistic". But for me, the original Yoda has a charm, and the golden glow of childhood memories.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I like The Dark Crystal, a unique fantasy film, but I was never really a fan of muppets, even the tv show, one of the reasons I prefer Star Wars-A New Hope to Empire and Jedi is that there is no muppety Yoda in it, muppets don't look remotely real to me and that takes me straight out of the story.
I love CGI when its done effectively, like Jurassic Park, T2 and Starship Troopers, and the more I watch Final Fantasy (5 times so far) the more I like it, CGI is the future of film, good or bad.
No more real actors in 20 years time, only CGI actors I'm afraid, but we'll get used to it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks