What's new

The professional (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I recently added this wonderful movie to my collection.I cannot believe I have never seen it before,it came highly reccomended.One day I will search out the full version but this is all I could find at the time and it was under $15.
My quesition is this,why does Leon drink so much milk?Is that sort of like,what is in the brief case in Pulp Fiction?
I guess I have an idea,because he is so physically fit and disicplined.Somebody else said to make his character softer.
Any other ideas?
------------------
My dvd collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I concur that the version to get is the original uncut Léon, which was edited down and retitled "The Professional" here in America. You'd be amazed what an additional 20 minutes or so can add to a film. Definitely a stunner. (This version also has an isolated score.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Another vote here for the International Version-a completely different movie and much better with the added footage. It makes a huge difference.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I believe it serves several functions. In many ways, Leon acts like a child. Seeing his awkwardness with Mathilda would almost make you believe he's never been in a relationship (which is dispelled in the Leon : Integral Edition). Having an assassin being an excessive milk drinker just adds to the wonderfully anachronistic nature of the film, equally matched by the romantic core of the film wrapped in a tragic action film.
I love this movie, and can find few faults with it. Certainly a top tier action film in it's own right.

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
What's the problem?
Everyone thinks that the movie was cut in the US, but that's total bullshit. The longer version (AKA: Version Integrale) was released in 1996, and the only available version before 1996 was the shorter version.
patriot.gif

------------------

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
The milk serves the same function as Leons relationship with the plant, it's a dichotmy. He kills, but he cares about his own health and the health of his plant. He lives in a world unto himself. I assume there is a GREAT backstory with the Danny Aiello character and some Mob involvement, etc.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Here's another question/obversation about Leon/The Professional. Slight spoilers so....
Was Danny Aiello's character manipulating Leon? For instance, when Leon wants to get his money and leave Tony tries to talk him out of it and offers to give him just a little bit of money. Was this truly because he cared about Leon or because he did not have the money to give him? A similar thing happens at the end with Mathilda.
------------------
"Wait a minute. Was she a great big fat person?"
My DVD Collection

HenrikTull

Second Unit
quote: Was Danny Aiello's character manipulating Leon? For instance, when Leon wants to get his money and leave Tony tries to talk him out of it and offers to give him just a little bit of money. Was this truly because he cared about Leon or because he did not have the money to give him? A similar thing happens at the end with Mathilda.[/quote]
Excellent question. I was wondering of the same thing myself. But you do get a very strong impression that Tony is using Leon and spending the money on himself, much like Teddy in Memento.
------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven
[Edited last by HenrikTull on September 27, 2001 at 09:48 AM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that Tony was totally cold hearted. At the end, I think he had Mathilda's best interests in mind when he refuses to let her become a cleaner like Leon, even if he was pretty hard on her.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Being a resident of Europe, I've never seen anything other than FULL UNCUT version. So what did they hack off for the US cut and why?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
IMDb has a detailed list of the footage initially cut in 1994 and added back in 1996:
Link Removed
M.

Users who are viewing this thread