What's new

The problem with shows in HD (non-technical)... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am watching CSI:Miami in HD. And when Wolf is talking to the deceased guys wife. You can see a blemish that was caked with makeup to cover it. But, with HD the clarity is so vivid...you can see it. :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
An increasing problem with HD. Local TV news operations are having to budget for new sets (and botox for the talent.) There's a critic who maintains a list of "HD Horrors" - actors and actors who look fine in SD but don't make it in HD. (Terri Hatcher from Desperate Housewives is one of his HD horrors. Marcia Cross from the same show is an HD Honey, saved by her perfect skin. :))

As I noted in another thread, when Paramount struck new prints from the original negatives of "The Trouble with Tribbles" and digitized some scenes to incorporate into the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" they were horrified to see brush strokes on the plywood sets and coffee stains on Spocks uniform that the old low-res video machines (and cameras and monitors) simply hid. And that was just standard def stuff on modern digital editing equipment.

There will be more and more of this sort of thing as everyone adjusts to HD - on both sides of the camera. :)

Regards,

Joe

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Todd,

I mentioned the exact same thing to my wife while watching the show last night. It probably would have been far more effective to darken the blemish into a mole instead of trying to make it disappear, as HD is so unforgiving.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Not to harp on CSI:Miami since the show looks great in HD. But, Caruso looked really old last night. And does he have a neck problem?? His always has his head cocked down to the side. ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like Phillip Swann wants to be Joan Rivers. Minus the wrinkles, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks