What's new

the problem with con/heist movies (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the problem with con/heist movies, i think, is that the movie always tries to make it look like a complication has come up against the protagonist's plan, making it look like it's in jeopardy (red herring?), but we always know, no matter how convincing the movie tries to be, EVERYTHING is going to plan. movies like:
ocean's eleven, heist, confidence, runaway jury

i think The Sting
is what ruined it for me. THAT movie was actually convincing. trick me once, shame on me...
how about a movie where a sting/con actually doesn't work? is this a pickle?: anybody with suggestions of movies like that would in effect "spoil" the movie...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Without going into any details to avoid spoiling anything, let me simply suggest you check out:

Rififi
Diabolique (1954)
The Killers (1946)
The Killing
The Lavender Hill Mob
The Ladykillers
The Italian Job (1968)

You might be pleasantly surprised.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
That's funny, I was having the exact same thoughts a couple months ago after watching The Sting. I love con movies, but after a while they do all seem kinda the same.

The problem is that there needs to be some kind of tension, and that's pretty much the only way to do it. It's almost always a situation where it looks like something has gone seriously wrong, but what the audience doesn't know it that it's actually all part of the plan.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'll second George's recommendations of The Killing and Diabolique, which take different directions with the formula. I don't care much for The Killers, and haven't seen any of the others.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Usual Suspects?
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead?

Course, sometimes the pleasure goes back to seeing someone pull off the "impossible". It is what the attraction with "Mission: Impossible" (The TV series, not the movies.) for me was.

Jason

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Topkapi..

That said, "everything is going to plan" per se does not bother me, as long as the execution is good. There have been some great Law and Order, CSI, X-Files,.. espisodes that I KNOW everything will be resolved in 60 minutes (minus commercial), but I still think they are great, because they are so well executed.

Nick C.

Second Unit
well, many tend to think of them along the same lines as (most) comedies, you get entertained during the ride, but can be pretty assured of the way the plot will end up. Of course this isn't always the case, and you get great comedies, like Adaptation (in my opinion ;)) that are not only startlingly innovative, maintain strong narratives, but also hilarious at the same time.

on a side note, another shout-out for Kubrick's The Killing...never ceases to amaze me how the auteur managed to master so many genres!

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Gone in 60 Seconds the remake...

They dont make all the cars for the deal, and the police catch the tankers thanks to our hero.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Bound, still the best movie by the Wachowski Brothers, is a great con movie. They all have it planned to perfection, but one little thing goes wrong and it snowballs from there and they are flying by the seat of their pants from that moment on, and it adds TONS of tension to it.

That and a sex scene between Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly and you get a great movie!(Yes i am a pig)

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen a L&O where Jack McCoy doesn't win in YEARS.

Mark me down as sick of how every heist goes perfectly. My latest example of this schlock:

The Italian Job
(And just a flat out BAD movie which is completely unbelieveable too)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Bound is a good example of cons and heist gone wrong. Also, I third the amazing lesbo scene.

As for a good con movie, you might want to check out Neuve Reinas (Nine Queens), a great South American con movie, and To Live and Die in LA, not exactly the classic con movie, but great nonetheless with some con elements. Also, Spanish Prisoner and House of Games are two nice Mamet con movies.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I liked The Good Thief, but you really should skip it until you've seen the original, Jean Pierre Melville's Bob Le Flambeur, my favorite heist movie.

I also agree on the top 4 on George's list (haven't seen the bottom 3)

Another I would add if you're looking for things to go wrong:
Big Deal On Madonna Street

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I love Bound and it has nothing to do with the sex scenes(which arent very graphic IMHO). A great underrated movie.

Also check out Dead Presidents for heist that goes wrong.

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
How about Matchstick Men earlier this year? I thought Nick Cage did a great job in this role.

And the protagonist gets outconned without turning the situation back around in his favor. I actually thought the movie was kind of sad, but very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks