What's new

The Pro X-Box Thread (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
After seeing all the negativity surrounding the Xbox on this forum, I thought maybe it'd be a good idea to post some of the great features I (and you) think the Xbox brings to the table. HOpefully, this will help others who don't have the XBox realize how cool it is. Please don't let this degenerate into a PS2 vs. XBox thread. The PS2 is awesome and I would love to have one also...especially for GT3, but let's keep this thread on the Xbox.

I'll start - Aside from the obvious--simply stunning graphics....

DD-encoded games are where it's at. Hooked up to a half decent sound system, and a good DD-encoded game like Halo completely immerses you.

Hard drive! I didn't even think about this one when I bought it, but no need for memory cards! Yay! It helps offset the cost of the DVD kit when you don't have to worry about getting memory cards. Plus, it's great to rip CDs to the hard drive and have that play during your game.

StevenK

Second Unit
Well, yes...but it doesn't cover all and doesn't provide opinions or praises...which is what I'm hoping to accomplish with this thread.

James D S

Screenwriter
Steven,
Seems that the state of the Box on this forum is following the proper cycle. First, the honeymoon period where the Box was seen as the savior of hard-nosed gamers and now we are seeing that there a chinks in the armor. No big deal. It's better than having almost NO discussion, like another certain recently launched game system.
The Box is strong and through honest "negative" discussion, it'll get stronger. Who wants for everyone to be blowing sunshine up our bums all the time. Let's keep it real.
But, in keeping with the thread: I love my XBox! :D

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who has participated in one of the negative threads, I'd just like to say I'm not trying to talk the xbox down. It's a fine machine, and most of the negativity centres on things like the price, and the marketing.

Now that MS have re-priced it in Europe, I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of new satisfied owners.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I see plenty of positive remarks regarding the XBOX. Unfortunately I think most of us would like to see some more high quality games. It seems we have 3 new consoles that are better than anything we have seen and yet, there isn't much to get excited about.

A pro-XBOX thead? Is such a thing possible on the internet without trolls or fanboys chiming in and pissing on the parade? I gotta say I'm a bit hesitate to enter this discussion at all since I'm just now coming back from suspension stemming from this very thing, but what the hell, somebody has to stick up for the XBOX. Just look over in the software section- someone brings up how much they like Halo, and a couple of guys bring up how they think either PS2 is better, or how overpriced the 'BOX is. A nice little discussion on the merits of Halo, which just degenerates into another opprotunity to bash the XBOX. I won't mention any names, but the chief offenders of this type of thing know damn well who they are. You just know no matter what, you'll see the same people post something negative just for the sake of bad mouthing the system. Now that I have the rant portion of my post out of the way, let me tell you what I do like about the XBOX-

A built in HD. That's supposed to be good, isn't it?

It's ready for internet play right out of the box.

Stunning graphics and sound, natch'.

It makes a decent DVD player.

It's American. I know the actual units are made outside of the U.S., but it's still produced by an American company. And I'd just as soon give my money to a large, souless American company as a large, souless Japanese one.

It cost the same as the compitition, but has many features as standard that would cost more in the way off add-ons on them.

People argue that it's about the games, but I'd have to say that the 'BOX has a pretty damn nice line-up for it to be so new to the game. I could afford multiple systems (something I don't think the average BOX-bashing PS2 fanboy could), but I can't justify dropping another $300 just to see if something like GTA3 (the only PS2 title that interest's me) lives up to the hype.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I see plenty of positive remarks regarding the XBOX. Unfortunately I think most of us would like to see some more high quality games. It seems we have 3 new consoles that are better than anything we have seen and yet, there isn't much to get excited about.
Regarding the positive remarks about the XBox here on the forum, absolutely. It was about a month ago when, after reading yet another post praising the XBox, Halo, and the Dolby Digital sound, I decided I just couldn't take it anymore and went out and bought it all. Regarding the system itself, not talking about the price or the games, there is very little anti-Xbox talk here on the forum (save one person maybe). ;)
I completely agree with you on the lack of killer app games on the XBox, though. I've got Halo and NFL Fever, and I'll get at least another 6 or 8 weeks out of Halo (NFL Fever was free, and I haven't touched it). Once I tire of Halo, though, I have no idea what game to pick up next. Sure, there are some other really cool games that are out (JSRF, PGR, Rallisport, Spider-Man, THPS3), but none of those games interest me in the slightest. The next game I know I'm picking up is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and that won't be out for months (I might get World Series Baseball next month, but that depends on how good the reviews are and how much extra money I'll have). I'm planning on having to go to other systems for games like Medal of Honor: Frontline and Eternal Darkness for the next several months until I pick up another XBox game.
Really looking forward to this Fall and Christmas season--there are going to be some amazing games released, for every system.
-mwb-

Camp

Senior HTF Member
It's better than my Gamecube (which is refered to as the 'dust collector').

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Having dealt with numerous console launches I would have to rate the X Box as above average. Halo is the best launch title that I've played and the sport game ports are enough to keep me satisfied for now. It took many years for previous consoles to come up with a respectable list of software so I'm not going to rush to judgement on X Box. Doing so for Sony or Nintendo would have made me miss out on Metal Gear or Goldeneye.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
gayal.jpg

Andre F

Screenwriter
StevenK,

I don't own an XBox but probably will in the future. I'm very surprised by this thread because I don't see much bad mouthing of the Xbox at all in this forum. Sure, there are a few who don't like it but, overall the folks here seem to really like the Xbox. In fact I sometimes get bored due to the overwhelming (as compared to other consoles) amount of XBox discussions.

Anyway, I think the Xbox is getting to the point where is starting to become a good buy. There is now a solid list of games coming out for the system. I will probably wait for a price drop but, I'll grab one in the future.

It's better than my Gamecube (which is refered to as the 'dust collector').
I hear that, thank god for my PS2...

-Andre F

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I'm not putting down my 'Cube, but it is really collecting dust at the moment, while my Xbox is getting a workout.

Wait after mid-summer, the little 'Cube will pick up...

As for as the Xbox... well, my buddy has a LAN in his house, I'll bring my Xbox over there, and we'll get some crazy games of 16 player Halo going. Nothing like a few cases of beer and 16 people "killing" each other. Great fun indeed!

paul h

Supporting Actor
I will be picking one up next week at £199 and maybe it's just me or something to do with the PAL conversion but i spent a few hours with an XBox last week and was disappointed with Halo's graphics, detail was great but the frame rate was poor, even with not much going on on-screen. Also played with Wreckless which was ok, TonyHawks3 was good as expected but graphically i was most impressed with JSRF even though the game doesnt appeal to me that much. I have the same opinion as a few others in that there's are very few XBox games i want right now...looking forward to games like Unreal Championship.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I will be picking one up next week at £199 and maybe it's just me or something to do with the PAL conversion but i spent a few hours with an XBox last week and was disappointed with Halo's graphics, detail was great but the frame rate was poor, even with not much going on on-screen.
Don't forget the European version of the console has a built in 60hz mode to run games at full screen and full speed. There have been reports that PAL Halo actually runs smoother at 50hz and that 60hz playback is indeed somewhat jerky for some reason.

I really find good reason in wanting to own the three major consoles, that's not entirely something I've felt possible in the past. When I buy the X-box next month I will have all 3, each have their own rewrads in offering something the other does not. Bashing one console is pointless. My Cube is getting dusty, but Resident Evil will fix that.

Dan

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I really find good reason in wanting to own the three major consoles, that's not entirely something I've felt possible in the past. When I buy the X-box next month I will have all 3, each have their own rewrads in offering something the other does not. Bashing one console is pointless. My Cube is getting dusty, but Resident Evil will fix that.
My thoughts exactly. If anything,its my PS2 that is collecting dust at the moment.
But I have so many games to play anyways...somethings gonna get neglected :)
Calvin

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I think X-Box has been generally getting favorable impressions here, especially since it supports what we like - realtime Dolby Digital 5.1 and HDTV support.

But, I think the majority of people out there don't have a 5.1 capable system yet (or don't care), and a vast majority don't have HDTV's - so that means most people can't appreciate these features of the X-Box. Those of us with 5.1 setups can rave about hearing an enemy on your left surround speaker, but the average Joe won't notice.

Even those in the gaming industry have very superficial knowledge about 5.1 and progressive scan, so these features seem to get downplayed for the average gamer...

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I don't think that anyone has bashed the Gamecube on this thread. IMHO, if you went out and spent $199 bucks on the system, then it entitles you to mention if it is currently collecting dust. That's a lot different then someone who does not own a GC saying something against it.
Personally, I can't wait for Resident Evil, but pickins' have been slim since Rogue Leader.
On topic: Yes, I like my X-Box. It is great. That is all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks