"The Prize" - Paul Newman

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harry-N, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Has there ever been any word on "The Prize" ever coming to DVD? It's one of my wife's favorite movies, and we waited forever for a LaserDisc that never came. Now we'd really like a nice widescreen DVD.

Harry

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll buy it if it is released.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Warners holds the rights to many Paul Newman films I'd love to have on DVD. A box set along the lines of their upcoming Cary Grant box set would be terrific.

I'd love to see The Prize in a set like that along with Harper, The Left Handed Gun, Somebody Up There Likes Me and Until They Sail.

4. pugugly

pugugly Auditioning

Well, here it is 2009, Paul's moved on and "The Prize" still isn't on DVD. Anyone out there with a brain and some clout? You could make a fortune if you put this, and other Newman movies out on DVD. New Info: If you go to the Turner Classic Movie site and search for the prize, they hav a link to vote for it coming out on DVD. At the moment there are only 341 votes for it. If we spread the word to everyone we know who would like to see it, maybe we can raise the number enough for Warner, or whoever else holds the rights, to finally release it on DVD, Can't hurt to try.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Richard W
    I'd buy a DVD of The Prize in an instant. I'd also buy The Outrage (1964), What A Way to Go! (1964), and W.U.S.A. (1970), all Missing In Action on DVD.

I'd also buy a collection of Newman's now legendary breakthrough work in 1950s television on DVD. His live TV dramas were powerful stuff and worthy of a box-set all by themselves.

Newman was also a fine director who probed deep into the craft of acting with some intense character studies that cry out for DVD release, including Rachel, Rachel (1968),Sometimes a Great Notion (1971), The Effect of Gamma Rays On Man-In-the-Moon Marigolds (1972), The Shadow Box (1980), Harry and Son (1984), and The Glass Menagerie (1987). His films as director should be commentated by actors who talk about the craft of acting in these films.

Let's get the rest of Paul Newman out there!

6. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

THE OUTRAGE is coming out in February. Also RACHEL, RACHEL. WHAT A WAY TO GO! is available now. I love THE PRIZE, a shameless ripoff of NORTH BY NORTHWEST, but "ripoff" is the wrong word since both are written by Ernest Lehmann. Would love to see THE RACK from a Rod Serling tv play and great performances by Newman, Walter Pidgeon, Edmond O'Brien, Wendell Corey, Anne Francis, Lee Marvin, and Cloris Leachman. Bits by Dean Jones, Robert Blake, and Rod Taylor.

7. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

This quote is from the press release for the other Newman movies being released in February.

Make of it what you will.

8. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

Thank you Beth - that's great news.

Harry

9. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Over a year later, and still nothing?

Harry

10. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    'The Prize' is available from www.fnac.es in Spain for 6.99 euros. I got turned on to FNAC by asking on another thread about the availability of Carol Reed's 'Outcast of the Islands' - an FNAC exclusive of a highly regarded British film (go figure!). FNAC is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, chain stores in Europe, along the lines of Virgin megastores.

'The Prize' is in widescreen and comes with a book inside the case (amazing, considering the price). As with 'Outcast of the Islands', I was able to purchase this and other DVDs not available anywhere else (including Amazon UK).

Big problem with FNAC is a standard shipping charge of a whopping 32+ euros. However, all quoted prices include VAT (value added tax) which is deducted from US orders, so if you order enough DVDs from them the amount saved on VAT can pay for the shipping (you're then basically getting them delivered at the same price that Spanish people will pay - assuming you build up enough VAT savings to equal the shipping cost).

If you don't read Spanish, you'll have to use a translation facility such as Google or Babel and, to find a movie, you're best off entering the name of the star or director (they're in English) to bring up their relative movies. Very often movies in Europe are given a different title to the original. I presume 'The Prize' has maintained it's title as 'El Premio', but some titles are so out of left field that the only way I could identify them was from the aggregate of names (under Marlon Brando, the movie 'Snakeskin' can be deduced to be 'The Fugitive Kind', if you know that its director is Sidney Lumet and co-star Anna Magnani).

Warning - for some reason known only to them and their book-keepers, FNAC ship their DVDs in a flimsy padded envelope. Miraculously, all three of my orders to date arrived without damage, but I wouldn't order anything like a heavy hard-covered book without risk of the spine or corners being damaged, and the only reason I would order anything that's otherwise available here or from Amazon UK would be to accumulate VAT savings to compensate for the shipping (after, of course, first checking that prices are comparable).

11. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Andrew, thanks for the "heads-up". I am very, very, very interested in this DVD as The Prize is an excellent movie although, as has already been mentioned, Ernest Lehman plagiarizes his own screenplay for North By Northwest. The movie is photographed by the great William Daniels and he really makes Elke Sommer look good. And just look at that cast . . . . .

UPDATE: I have trawled through the websites of four Spanish Internet suppliers and I'm afraid it's bad news. There are two DVD iterations of The Prize and the aspect ratio is quoted as 1.33:1. One site gives the special edition DVD as 1.75:1. Even more discouraging: one of the companies is Suevia and their products are nearly always fifth-rate. I'm going to hold fire until I come across some positive feed-back.

12. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

I bought the Spanish THE PRIZE earlier this year and it is an appalling transfer. Non anamorphic and terrible picture quality. Almost like a bootleg with no credit on the box for Warner Bros or M-G-M. I threw it out without bothering to watch most of it.

13. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin

Thank you. That settles it. No interest, no sale.

14. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    From WAC Facebook, in response to a request for The Prize:

15. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I know that that was then and this is now, but what are the chances of WB bringing out THE PRIZE, THE RACK, UNTIL THEY SAIL, and even LADY L on a pressed disc set?

16. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

As that response came the Warner Archive Collection, I'd say very, very slight.