1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

The Princess Diaries

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I rented this film thinking that its quiet climb to the $108M box office mark has something to do with its simple yet affecting story. Well, after viewing it, its $108M take is simply baffling. Even my wife didn’t like it.
    There was nothing different nor special about this film to warrant that kind of a success. It has story that has been told before.
    At best, this is a film that is usually ran on weekday afternoons as an after school movie presentation. It’s G rating for a live action film should have been a dead giveaway. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I heart Heather Matarazzo.

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Edwin,

Funny that you bring this up. I was just "attempting" to watch this on pay-per-view. That was as painful as it gets. I got up to take the dog outside with about 15 minutes left in the movie and had no desire to see the rest. I never went back so I have no idea how it ended nor do I care. That is such a tired formula.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

...of whom I am one. I saw this during an airplane flight, and while it was competently done, there was nothing interesting about it (to me) at all.

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    My wife and her grandmother took our 9-year old daughter to see this in the theater when it was initially released, and all three had nothing but good things to say about it. I recently watched the first 45 minutes or so with my kids and enjoyed what I saw as well.

Somehow, I don't think Disney was marketing this movie towards the typical HTF member, which might help explain it's tepid reception at this forum. Reminds me of another recent thread about Snow Dogs...

9. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

My four year old Daughter adores this movie. We have watched it many times. I happen to like Hector Elizondo in this movie it has some funny parts, so sue me.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

10. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I bought this DVD for my wife for Christmas. (She's 43 and a Julie Andrews fan.) We took a bunch of middle and high school girls to see it when it came out last year, and they all loved it. I thought it was cute, and actually read the sequel book, Princess in the Spotlight, a couple of weeks ago. (Before you get any funny ideas, I'm working on my teaching certification for 4-8th grade language arts, and therefore read the occasional kids book to keep up.)

If you're not the target audience, you not expected to like it. I know a LOT of people who don't get one of my favorites, Army of Darkness...

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is simply a matter of taste. There are lots of movies that do quite well but are part of a genre, or a type of film, that many others don't like. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with that film.
    I don't think there's any box office hit that doesn't baffle a number of people. I still have no idea how Titanic did so well. [​IMG] Or Gone with the Wind. Or many others. Heck I don't understand how any overly melodramatic soap opera could ever be found interesting by anyone. Although, as I said, I do understand it - it's different taste. I actually like Princess Diaries (at least a hell of a lot more than All About Eve or Titanic, etc.)
    Sly & the Family Stone said it best - Different strokes for different folks.

12. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

Put me in the baffled camp. I rented this, even P&S, because our local critic gave it a great review and said it was suitable for adults. The only thing I liked was the San Fran scenery. Otherwise, it was a really weak script and the soundtrack was definitely geared to the 12 year old girl set. My wife hated it too. Strictly a Disney kids movie. Would rather have seen it animated.

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

14. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

The movie may be an old formula, but not a tired one as it still works. My 5 year and 2 year old daughters love this movie. The 2 year old had not watched or liked any TV show (not even Barney, TeleTubbies or Sponge Bob) or movie until we rented this flick. She became obsessed with it and wanted to watch it round the clock. Go figure.

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I enjoyed it enough to see it twice at the theaters, and pick up the DVD.

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Horrible film. Sure a good formula well done always works. However in this case it failed miserably.
    I thought this film was sloppy, dull, predictable and completely devoid of humor or charm. I usually like Garry Marshall films, but this one was his worst.
    The Princess' Diarreah's more like it.[​IMG]
    BTW, I'm not surprised it did so well, just scared that it's success may breed more shite just like it...God forbid. Ugh!

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Have to agree with Tino. I thought my wife might like it, so I got it for her. I figured it was charming. I found it overworked and terrible. It hit every cliche right away in workmanlike fashion. It did have tremendous success at the box office, so I am glad others like it.
    But not me[​IMG],
    Chuck

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Off topic for a second,
    Edwin, what the hell happened to all your links to those movies you discussed like Last Year at Marienbad (love how all the arthouse fans came quickly to defend it) and The Last Picture Show? They had pretty cool discussions.