What's new

The Princess Bride UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm happy with my BD disc and 4K/Dolby Vision Digital that I got for free by redeeming my code on iTunes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with my BD disc and 4K/Dolby Vision Digital that I got for free by redeeming my code on iTunes.

I'm hesitant about it. I have slowed way down buying movies I already own on BD-Especially titles like this that I have bought no less than a dozen times on home video in my lifetime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm hesitant about it. I have slowed way down buying movies I already own on BD-Especially titles like this that I have bough no less than a dozen times on home video in my lifetime.
I'm at the point that I have to seriously consider which titles I'm going to upgrade from BD to 4K/UHD disc. It's a lot cheaper to just purchase the 4K/HDR/DV Digital for most movies except the films I truly love.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm at the point that I have to seriously consider which titles I'm going to upgrade from BD to 4K/UHD disc. It's a lot cheaper to just purchase the 4K/HDR/DV Digital for most movies except the films I truly love.
Yes - although I truly love The Princess Bride, I was very happy with the recent Criterion blu-ray release. If there is a fresh new 4K scan performed for a classic title, and the master on the title I own is dated, then there might be a big enough improvement to justify upgrading to 4K. I will be waiting for comparative reviews of the forthcoming 4K StudioCanal Don't Look Now to Criterion's, before I double-dip. Even though 4K digital titles are far more compressed than pressed 4K UHD discs, I think the projected quality for steaming is very good, on the whole.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Another example of a doubtful 4K UHD upgrade is next week's release of Waterworld. I bought the three disc Arrow edition in January and I won't be buying the 4K disc. After buying bothThe Little Mermaid and The Lion King 4K UHD discs and not noticing any difference to the blu-rays I already owned, I'm passing on the Toy Story 4K series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another example of a doubtful 4K UHD upgrade is next week's release of Waterworld. I bought the three disc Arrow edition in January and I won't be buying the 4K disc. After buying bothThe Little Mermaid and The Lion King 4K UHD discs and not noticing any difference to the blu-rays I already owned, I'm passing on the Toy Story 4K series.
Well that's where you and I see things differently as I think the 4K/UHD discs are a big improvement over the previous Blu-rays on my OLED.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well that's where you and I see things differently as I think the 4K/UHD discs are a big improvement over the previous Blu-rays on my OLED.
Ah - I should have said that I project in 4K. There is obviously a substantial gain for 4K UHD discs on OLED displays, which I don't have.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You have a 4K projector?
Yes - an inexpensive Optoma DLP. I haven't yet seen any projectors that can compare to OLED and local dimming LCD display monitors for HDR. However, I find my picture quality is pretty good, with the HDR turned off, and I definitely prefer the size of the picture I get from projecting onto a 130 inch screen. That said, streaming artifacts are more apparent when projecting and I don't yet get any benefit from HDR discs, as far as the HDR is concerned. I'm hoping prices for 4K projectors will continue to fall and that I will be able to upgrade in a couple of years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's what I do, too.

Same here. I’m not yet UHD capable but I’ve been trying to get rid of DVDs on my shelf when there are newer editions of the same titles, and I find in a lot of cases that I’m opting for a $5 iTunes purchase of a new 4K master over buying a regular Blu-ray of an older master for $10 or more. I get to stream the new master now in HD and now own it in 4K for when I’m ready for that. Seems to make more sense than buying a Blu-ray which will then need an upgrade of its own.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't upgrade my Blu-Rays, because they're "good enough". However, new titles I buy the UHD disc over the Blu-Ray disc now -- even the upconverts.

And for DVDs that never got upgraded via Blu-Ray or UHD, I'll often buy a digital copy only instead of upgrading on disc.

But I want to have at least one physical copy of every movie I own, where possible. I hate the idea of not being able to watch a movie in my collection because my internet is down or the digital retailer went out of business.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But I want to have at least one physical copy of every movie I own, where possible. I hate the idea of not being able to watch a movie in my collection because my internet is down or the digital retailer went out of business.

I used to feel exactly the same way - and for the most part still do - but my collection has gotten a little larger than I’d like and I’m discovering that there are some that I can do without a physical copy of - if the digital disappears, oh well. The trick is figuring out which titles I feel that way about, easier said than done. For something like Princess Bride which gets frequent plays in my house, keeping the disc is a no-brained.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just sprung for the Criterion. I think I'm done.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I don't own this in any form, so I will highly consider picking this up in 4k.

I rarely double dip on a Blu-ray I already own to get a 4k unless it's a move I know I'll watch often. I haven't done any digital downloads but with all of the Apple TV talk here, I may buy one of those at some point. The only streaming I do is Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and Pandora and my Panny covers that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with the upgrade over the Criterion (which was beautiful as well). The Dolby Vision is great.
I was worried that it was going to be $60 poorly spent.

I watched the trailer on disc, and man did they love to spoil things back in the day. Funny these super spoilery trailers, and movie reviews never bothered me in the 80's, and 90's. Now people would be out for blood if they dare show something like this:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember seeing the 1958 trailer for Vertigo and being stunned that it revealed every twist in the film. Ever since then, I’ve found it funny when people today insist that it’s only modern trailers that give away the whole movie.

Then again, in the 50s and the 80s, people didn’t freezeframe trailers at home and watch them over and over trying to put the movie together in their heads out of the snippets they saw. Most people probably forgot most of the trailer details before the main feature started and just walked away thinking “I’d like to see that.”

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm happy with the upgrade over the Criterion (which was beautiful as well). The Dolby Vision is great.
I was worried that it was going to be $60 poorly spent.

I watched the trailer on disc, and man did they love to spoil things back in the day. Funny these super spoilery trailers, and movie reviews never bothered me in the 80's, and 90's. Now people would be out for blood if they dare show something like this:

I'm kinda digging that '80s smooth jazz in the trailer, even if it sounds kinda out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks