The Princess and the Warrior DVD...I was ROBBED...Where is the Music?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeM, Jan 30, 2002.

1. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Did anyone buy the The Princess and the Warrior DVD that just came out in Region 1 on 1/29/02?
    If so, the specs are great on the disc, but where was the music from the film?? I just finished watching it, both the German Dolby Digital and German Dolby Surround mixes had no music from the theatrical run of the film. (This is the music found on the soundtrack, etc.)
    Does anyone know if this was a US Region 1 rights issue, or what???
    Could someone who saw this in the theaters and has the new DVD, please confirm this so that I know I'm not going crazy, thanks.

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

???? Did they substitute something else? To tell you the truth I didn't like it quite so much as Lola Run so I wasn't paying attention, but IIRC the director Tom Tykwer wrote most of the music. How could there be a rights issue under those circumstances???
    Sounds like some terrible DVD authoring mistake to me. Sorry, but I really don't intend to get this DVD, so someone else will have to confirm.
    Ted

3. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

I recently saw the film at the cinema, but unfortunately my DVD hasn't shipped yet (damn DVD boxoffice). The soundtrack is out in the US and the director is indeed credited with a joint writing credit on it.

There was another thread on this disc somewhere, so maybe that someone will have some info?

ali

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have the disc, but I haven't had time to watch it. And since I didn't see it in the theater, I'm probably not much help.

Tykwer is indeed credited as one of three composers, and he's done two commentaries for the disc (one alone and one with the stars). If there was any change, maybe it's mentioned in one of the commentaries. FWIW, the disc does not carry the usual "modified for content" notice that appears when music has been substituted on the soundtrack.

M.

5. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Ok, this is weird- my disc defaults to a Spanish/Portugese menu. Is there some way to switch it to English?

6. Michael Reuben

OK, here's one possible explanation of the music issue.

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I watched this disc last night, comments aside (see my 2001 Film List update), the entire music score is included. Having not seen it theatrically, I'm assuming this is correct.
    I do LOVE Franka Potente's song "Fly With Me" that is in the trailer, but not in the film itself. That said, I don't really see where it would be put in the film anyway.
    What's interesting, though, is that the disc defaults to German 2.0 with subtitles OFF!
    Jason

8. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Watched this last night (thank you deepdiscountdvd!) and it is exactly as I remember it. I think Michael Reuben has a good explanation. Tykwer is a naturally gifted director and an interesting contrast to the Hollywood "yes" men directors such as Ron Howard (apologies proffered).

By the way, groovy sig. Jason - good to see another Tenenbaum fan!

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I swear I'm not crazy on this. The theatrical run had quite a few songs from the soundtrack actually *in* the movie itself, which are NOT on the DVD version.
    The German version of the disc (released in December) also contains a DTS track and other extras which are not found on the US version. So it's strange that the US version doesn't have this.
    I haven't had time to listen to the two commentary tracks, but I will...I sure hope they mention something, anything, about the music, because I feel like I was either cheated or going nuts.
    Again, if anyone else who saw this in the theater and has the DVD, please confirm this, thanks.

10. Michael Reuben

11. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

What scene in particular do you remember having music in the film and its not in the corresponding scene on the dvd?

I saw the movie in the theater and watched snippets of the dvd and didn't seem to find any differences. Granted it's been awhile since I saw the film in the theater.

Given the dvd includes a music video, it would seem to make no sense that the music (which several was done by the artist in the video) would be gone from the movie.

Any specific examples?!?

12. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

The soundtrack stuff on the CD is only actually in the film from track 8 onwards - basically the instrumental stuff.

13. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

14. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Watching these scenes on the DVD, they seem identical to the theatrical version. Not to irritate you with a potential other cause but you may be projecting the trailer (German mainly) scenes (which includes those two) that features the soundtrack music (Fly With Me specifically). Everytime I see the second scene in question in the film, that tune plays in my head.

Everything about the movie seems the same to me.

15. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Thanks for the info Doug. Hey, no problem, I guess I was totally off base on this, but I could've sworn that I wasn't. Weird.

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I saw it theatrically, and watched the DVD a few nights ago. I didn't notice anything different regarding the music.

17. Michael Reuben

Let me raise a different question: Was anyone else struck by the poor quality of the video transfer? I haven't seen so much aliasing and shimmer in a long time -- certainly not on a Columbia Tristar DVD. Some shots (usually long shots with significant landscape detail) looked so bad that at first I thought they were captured on lo-res DV.

Interesting film with some surprising turns and a wonderful dreamy quality.

M.

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Michael-

Yes, I would say it is the worst looking dvd I have seen of a new film from a major studio in a long time. The transfer has an artificial processed look to it and unstable color saturation. There is a thread about the problems with this disc over at the AVS forum.

19. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone seen this title at a B & M? I haven't seen it anywhere in stores.

20. Michael Reuben

Brian --
    Thanks for the reference. It's always helpful to have confirmation, and the AVS thread describes perfectly what I was seeing. The frustrating thing is that no one seems certain of the cause. One thing I'm sure of: This is not one of Sony's high-def transfers downconverted to NTSC. Some sort of short-cut was taken, but we'll probably never know exactly what.
    What's especially frustrating is that the director obviously put a lot of effort into preparing the special features. Didn't Columbia show him the R1 video master? And if so, didn't he see a problem?
    M.