The Prince of Egypt: DD or DTS??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Mar 7, 2003.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I am considering purchasing this, but I am curious as to the differences in the audio tracks. I know the extras are the same, as well as the transfers, the only difference between the two is the DTS track, which is full bit-rate. Is the DTS better? I have heard some say it is and it isn't. Some say the DTs is better, but that the effects drown out the music (Hans Zimmer's score, not the songs). So I am just wondering whic his the better of the two.

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I owned both and thought the DTS version did sound better, but Dolby Digital was also very good.

3. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Josh,

I replaced my DD version of POE with the DTS version some time ago. The difference is clearly audible to me. Should you get chance to do a comparison, I feel the difference is apparent from the start: The sounds of the wind gusting around the room with the cornet starting the main theme of "Deliver Us" hangs between the speakers, rather than sounding tied to each of them as per the DD 5.1 track.

DVDfile's review of the film gives a good, articulately written comparison of the two soundtracks. (Much better than my clumsy attempt at explaining anyway!)

Brendon

4. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

I was the one who said that I prefered the DD version, but as it is, I have both versions and I can't get myself to get rid of either.

I had the DD first and got used to it, and, like I said elsewhere, I feel the DTS version pushes the score more to the background (relative to the other sounds). But the DTS does give a more tactile feel to the sound effects, and the music seems to have a higher frequency range.

So get the DTS version, and you'll probably be happy (everyone else seems to be).

5. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

There is a new version of Prince of Egypt. It features both dts and dolby digital. Someone in this forum pointed saw it. I've seen it too in local stores.

FYI, Chicken Run has a new version too. Lesser extras and no dts [​IMG]

6. Arif

Arif Agent