What's new

Press Release The Prince and The Showgirl (1957) (Warner Archive Collection) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Cannot wait for this to street. Long overdue. A complexly muddled project and picture, but with fascinating performances and, as RAH already pointed out, a backstory that ought to be told properly someday.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
. . . . and, of course, everyone should watch My Week With Marilyn which HTF introduced me to.
I reviewed My Week with Marilyn, but a quick search doesn't seem to turn it up. Wonder if it got swallowed up in one of the site moves to another server

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I reviewed My Week with Marilyn, but a quick search doesn't seem to turn it up. Wonder if it got swallowed up in one of the site moves to another server
It was your review which persuaded me to buy the disc!

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I wonder what aspect ratio WAC has chosen for the film? The old DVD was 1.33:1. Since the film was released in 1957, I would assume the correct aspect ratio would be 1.85:1 or maybe 1.66:1. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cause the same controversy that we saw with Criterion's "Summertime" last year.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder what aspect ratio WAC has chosen for the film? The old DVD was 1.33:1. Since the film was released in 1957, I would assume the correct aspect ratio would be 1.85:1 or maybe 1.66:1. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cause the same controversy that we saw with Criterion's "Summertime" last year.
Should be 1.85

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If this info is correct nice extras on the disc THEATRICAL TRAILER; MGM SHORT "WATER TRIX"; OUTTAKE MUSICAL NUMBER "I WANT MY MONEY BACK"; PROMOTIONAL RADIO INTERVIEW; MGM CARTOON "HATCH UP YOUR TROUBLES"

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
If this info is correct nice extras on the disc THEATRICAL TRAILER; MGM SHORT "WATER TRIX"; OUTTAKE MUSICAL NUMBER "I WANT MY MONEY BACK"; PROMOTIONAL RADIO INTERVIEW; MGM CARTOON "HATCH UP YOUR TROUBLES"

Doing some quick research, it looks like those are actually the extras for Neptune’s Daughter (DVDBeaver lists that film’s disc in the old Esther Williams collection as having the same extras, plus Hatch Up Your Troubles is a ‘49 short). Depending on where you got that information, someone apparently got these two films mixed up.

On a side note and purely out of curiosity, was William Walton unavailable to do the score for this film? Mind you, this is not a rap on Richard Addinsell, who does a good job with the score, but I was rather surprised that this was the only one of the theatrically-released films directed by Olivier not scored by Walton.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Doing some quick research, it looks like those are actually the extras for Neptune’s Daughter (DVDBeaver lists that film’s disc in the old Esther Williams collection as having the same extras, plus Hatch Up Your Troubles is a ‘49 short). Depending on where you got that information, someone apparently got these two films mixed up.

On a side note and purely out of curiosity, was William Walton unavailable to do the score for this film? Mind you, this is not a rap on Richard Addinsell, who does a good job with the score, but I was rather surprised that this was the only one of the theatrically-released films directed by Olivier not scored by Walton.

Movie Zyng​

Yikes - so neither Amazon nor Movie Zyng had the listings correct -- and I have that Esther Williams set too! My bad thanks for catching it APOLOGIES to all

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Have you tried playing it recently? If not, you may be in for a shock!
Sadly will do to my illness I cannot watch yet them but I heard the stories - I have a cheapy blu ray and all region and a better dvd player too one of them should work Have you heard of a lot of people having trouble?

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sadly will do to my illness I cannot watch yet them but I heard the stories - I have a cheapy blu ray and all region and a better dvd player too one of them should work Have you heard of a lot of people having trouble?
Yes, that set has notoriously gone bad with many of the discs. So have several other Warner DVD box sets. Mickey/Judy, Doris Day, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Pre-Code boxes all have discs which won't play at all or won't play after the layer change.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, that set has notoriously gone bad with many of the discs. So have several other Warner DVD box sets. Mickey/Judy, Doris Day, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Pre-Code boxes all have discs which won't play at all or won't play after the layer change.
And Warners never corrected? Thanks back to the subject of the thread!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks