the price of dvd's in canada

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Albert Noel, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

why is it that titles are typically so expencive here as opposed to the US market?
    if i could take, say the average $14.99 movie from the us and do a currency conversion, it's not much more... but most of the movies i see mentioned on here (especially new releases) end up costing me in the $30-35 range (sometimes more), if i buy locally.

i know i can make up for that by buying online and just waiting for it to ship, but sometimes i like to have a disc right away, but at times just can't justify paying the insane amounts that local retailers are charging.

example: supranos sets are all at or around $100, BSG (the new set that looks like a big helmet) is at $145 and i'm almost afraid to see what the new alien quad set will cost (prob. around the same as BSG)

am i the only canadian to complain about this?

2. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Interestingly, the lower mainland of BC is said, according to industry pundits to have the most competitive pricing in consumer electronics and software in all of North America. Future Shop just opened THREE new mega stores this weekend alone in the Vancouver area.

If you check thier web site, they have the quad for $85.

My big beef is, or at least was until Amazon.ca the number of online retailers that deliberately priced their product high to attract US buyers because of the exchange rate, and basically shut out Canadian buyers. Hopefully, some of them are now hurting with the high dollar.

C&L Club has some totally outrageous pricing and shipping/account policies esp on Disney (avg 10 bucks more than retail) but US buyers may still find it attractive compared to what they have to pay locally.

Unless you are near a Future Shop, or can wait for Amazon.ca to ship it, you're stuck with some pretty BS retail pricing from stores.

3. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I think you are shopping at the wrong retailer if you are paying those prices! I buy most of my dvds at Walmart, Futureshop or Futureshop.ca(they ship everything for free and I receive them two days after shipping, sometimes before street date). BSG is $105.99 and Alien Quad is $85.99.

4. Gordon St Pierre

Gordon St Pierre Stunt Coordinator

I live between Ottawa & Kingston ..& I buy most of My DVD s at Either Walmart in Brockville(Great Selection Usually) .Futureshop in Kingston or from Futureshop.ca ...Its amazing some of the low prices you can find if you look ...
    I'm going to order a few from dvdsoon.com & try them out (have some titles hard to find anywhere else)
    I got the BSG set at Walmart when it first came out for $94.99 But I know its way up now.
    If you Preorder from Futureshop.ca I usually have them on Release day & for a good price + free shipping

Stay Away from HMV,MusicWorld Etc ...They are way out of line on prices
    If you don't mind Previously viewed ..usually great deals on them at Blockbuster & Jumbo video ...Usally around $12-$15 & most of the Time buy one get one half price etc sales
    Mostly on Big name titles that have been out for 3 weeks or so

5. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

I try to get my stuff at Futureshop or if I ever find another contact in the Blaine, Washington area in the States, DeepDiscountDVD.
    The rest I get off Amazon.ca, because I have some Coupons.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I find that it all depends on the title, how new/old the release is and where you shop.

HMV is a joke. Their new releases are only a couple dollars more than FS or Walmart... so that's not too bad.
    But their not-so-new releases are priced ridiculously.
    However, they offer ALOT of great titles/DVDs in their "2 for $40" and "2 for $30" deals.

FS, Walmart, Music World and Sunshine Records can have some really good prices - but it all depends on the titles.

The cheapest I can find The Princess and the Warrior is at the Futureshop website for $36.99 (haven't seen a FS carry it in their stores anyways).

What's really ridiculous are the Criterion prices.
    They can range from $45-$100 CAD.

The best bet for Criterions are to pre-order them at Amazon.ca - since alot of them initially come out in the upper $30 range - and then shortly before or after the release date they increase another $10 or more.

Overall... you just have to pick your spots and wait for price drops. They all come down in price eventually. Have to be patient.

7. Albert Noel

Gordon, you buy lots at wal-mart in brockville huh?

hell, thats where i live and am located right now [​IMG]
    didn't think anyone on the forums was from anywhere close to me

glad to see someone local [​IMG]

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Albert, if you lived near downtown Montreal, that Battlestar Galactica set would cost you only about $100 depending on where you shop. $145 in your area is price gouging.

9. Albert Noel

Francois, that insane price i mentioned is from jumbo video
    can you believe that? a canadian chain no less

10. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

11. Craig Perrin

Craig Perrin Extra

I've found a good online place to shop for dvd's is cdplus.com. They always seem to have the best prices around, and shipping is cheap. Buy a couple at a time and you're guaranteed to save money.
    Futureshop is alright, but I find they sell out quickly of a lot of titles that are on sale (other then the huge releases, which they always have thousands of). I went in looking for Once Upon A Time In The West when it was on sale for 13 bucks last week, and both stores I tried were sold out by Monday.
    Costco can be good too; I got the Band of Brothers DVD set there a year ago for $79.99; this, when a lot of stores were selling them for $130 at the time.

12. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

Really, this is intriguing.
    How would I order to one of these? I assume I must visit them first and arrange from there on?

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Why do you need an intermediary for DDD? I've never used one, shipping is really cheap (or free, even to here) and fairly fast and I don't recall ever having to pay any taxes either (15% here). But...they are usually only cheaper for Criterions or other special stuff, like Elite or Kino etc..

B&M's with good prices: Future Shop (and Best Buy is usually the same price, but not always) and Wal-Mart are reliable.

Amazon.ca is very good *if* you pre-order, even for Criterions...the trick for getting "cheap" Criterions from them is to pre-order as soon as they're announced and orderable, you can always cancel later. Sometimes the prices go up ~$10 a week after they're announced, like Ikiru and Rules of the Game did, so get in early. Amazon ships quickly, should only take 2-3 days at most, it's expedited mail. DVDSoon has good prices too, and sometimes delivers by release day if you pre-order very early (i.e. first in line). Dont forget with DVDSoon that shipping is free, and you save any PST if you're not in Quebec.

Amazon usually price-matches Future Shop on the Friday before release-Tuesday, so be sure to "adjust" your order if FS is cheaper...I've got caught a couple times but know now, FS sometimes has a special on a new release, with unexpectedly low price, like OUATITW. Also remember that FS will price-match with amazon, if you don't want to wait. Also, amazon has U.S. versions for a reasonable price if there's a Canadian cover you especially don't like.

For the cheapest prices, you should take the time to figure out how Columbia House works. Except for Disney stuff, I don't think I've paid more than $15 including shipping for any mainstream DVD (from them). Note they do not operate like the U.S. CH, so much of the info/tricks you read online won't work for them here. You can pre-order there too, and the last bunch I pre-ordered were about $11 each (Hulk, Seabiscuit, X2, TTT, Escape from NY S.E., etc...the common stuff).

Sounds to me like you've been shoppping at HMV. Their normal price for The Sopranos sets is $150, all DVD's there seem to be about 50% higher than other vendors, I wonder why they bother with them. Music World sometimes has great prices on slightly older discs, say 6 months old.

There is an ongoing thread in Coupons/Bargains forum that has some special deals for in Canada.

So that's my collection of tips, bottom line is there's no one place that's always the best for all releases. Plan ahead, read the release schedules, DVDTalk has a decent one for common stuff, MontrealDVD has the best one if you're more serious into movies, like not just the mainstream stuff. And don't get hung up on the shipping, I haven't paid for shipping (except CH) for a very long time, and it's reliable and pretty fast.

14. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

15. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

The BC Lower mainland has been mentioned once or twice, but the REASON for our low DVD and CD prices hasn't been mentioned - A&B Sound!

No, I don't work for them, but they're far less evil than Futre shop. Anyways, they do have a website and apparently you can online order.

Princess and Warrior was 31.49 DVD (better than the mentioned price); BSG set is $ 115 (worse)

Criterions are still bad (this is probably a distribution "issue").

16. Albert Noel

thanks for the info Craig.
    that was a pretty informative post.

i'm going to try ordering from dvdsoon.com (they have the alien quad for $89)

[​IMG]

17. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

I buy 95% of my DVD's from futureshop.ca

The trick when pre-ordering is to wait a few days before the actual title is released, it will usualy go on sale...

Alien Quad was originaly $109.99 on their website, last Wednesday it went on sale for $85.99 (and it was shipped to me last Friday, so I'll receive it today... It usualy takes 1 day to arrive with "standard" shipping).

You can buy the Star Trek TNG, DS9 and X-files sets for $117.99 to $126.99

HMV will sell those at over $160.99!!!

Best of all, FREE SHIPPING!!!

CDPlus are OK but i find that their titles are almost always "Back Ordered" on release day... They still haven't shipped out my copy of "Highlander: Season 3" and I pre-ordered early!

I also pre-ordered the "Dixie Chicks: Top of the World LIVE Tour" DVD and got the CD version instead...

18. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I've been using a combination of ordering online from DVDSoon and in-store at FutureShop. FutureShop's online service is free, but you don't tend to get titles on the release dates.

19. Craig Forsythe

I know A&B has been well known for ensuring we have the lowest prices anywhere for CD's, but it seems to be a whole different ballgame for DVD's.

Well you can indeed point to high priced box sets that are extremely competive compared to US prices (Battlestar and Aliens have been properly pointed out. A $50US boxset should cost $80CAD) it is the price of single movies that is completely out of whack up here.

X2 came out at $14.99US (if I recall Amazon's pre-order price right) yet up here your average price is $25CAD. The exchange rate should make the DVD about $20CAD, not $25CAD.

The comparisson to this is the price of a CD. Your crappy new Britney CD is $13.49US on Amazon.com and $15CAD at Futureshop.ca

We have gotten used to having the prices of our entertainment at or less than the US exchange rate. This is why A&B can suddenly have a 1-day sale of a DVD at $5 less than everywhere else, it's cause it should have been $5 less everywhere to start with.

20. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay

Yes, I just picked up Mad Max (SE) & Apocalyps Redux yesterday in the 2 for $30 deals.

But I prefer Futureshop.