What's new

The Prestigious Sight & Sound Poll (2022) The 100 Greatest Films Of All Time (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine once said of A Clockwork Orange (and later, of The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover as well), "It's one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life, and I hope to God I never see it again!"

I've felt similarly (but without quite so much fervor) about Leaving Las Vegas.
Wait, Leaving Las Vegas isn't even on this list?

Screw that.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Two films that I'll never watch again are Schindler's List and 12 Years A Slave. Both excellent films but literally too painful for me to watch.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Two films that I'll never watch again are Schindler's List and 12 Years A Slave. Both excellent films but literally too painful for me to watch.
I watched about half of Schindler’s List. Don’t know if I’ll watch the whole thing.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Shirley they can't be Serious no Airplane! or Dude Where's My Car? ;)

... Also they picked the wrong version of Imitation of Life!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Leaving Las Vegas, and Requiem For A Dream are two films I never need to watch again- the poster board for depression.

You got that right! I never want to revisit those two films again.
It is the performances from Elizabeth Shue (heartbreaking), and Nic Cage that draw me to that film.
Even though it is depressing, it is masterclass acting on both counts. Truly spellbinding

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is the performances from Elizabeth Shue (heartbreaking), and Nic Cage that draw me to that film.
Even though it is depressing, it is masterclass acting on both counts. Truly spellbinding

Both of those films are excellent movies! However, I don't need to see them again due to their subject matter and their depressing theme.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, there is (sort of) an optimistic way to look at films like Requiem For A Dream and Leaving Las Vegas...

My life might be F'd up, but it isn't THAT F'd up! :)

- Walter.
A good way to look at it, and I feel that way too. A sigh of relief, and thankful I'm not that far gone!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I don’t think this question has been raised yet… apologies if it has.

While I’ve not seen the newly ranked number-one film and can therefore express no opinion on its rating, I understand it’s made a leap from 35th position at the last (2012) poll.

How is it that the critics have previously not rated it so highly, yet it’s suddenly shot up in their consciousness and estimation to take it to number 1 with a bullet?

It’s not as if it’s a film that was released after the last poll. It’s been around since 1975.

By contrast, Vertigo gradually ascended this ladder over the course of several decades to top the last poll.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t think this question has been raised yet… apologies if it has.

While I’ve not seen the newly ranked number-one film and can therefore express no opinion on its rating, I understand it’s made a leap from 35th position at the last (2012) poll.

How is it that the critics have previously not rated it so highly, yet it’s suddenly shot up in their consciousness and estimation to take it to number 1 with a bullet?

It’s not as if it’s a film that was released after the last poll. It’s been around since 1975.

By contrast, Vertigo gradually ascended this ladder over the course of several decades to top the last poll.
Frankly, I think it’s BS from these critics!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
None of those movies are in "Paths of Glory" class so I think we can agree to disagree on that point.
I can't speak about the last two, since I cannot remember ever seeing them; however, I can about the first two in his list and I agree with you that "Paths of Glory" is far superior to those two films in my book. "The Deer Hunter" was a one watch for me. It just dragged on and on for me, while "The Thin Red Line" not only felt like it dragged on forever, it also was incomprehensible in its message.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I find all of these lists essentially useless. There have been thousands upon thousands of films made and to say that there are 100 that rise above every other film made is a next level conceit. Taste in film is so subjective that creating lists of the all time greatest are just worthless as far as I am concerned.

Take "Citizen Kane" for example. That film has repeatedly been called the greatest of all time. I wouldn't disagree that it is a great film; however, I think it is ridiculous to think that there hasn't been a film better than that one made either before or after it's creation.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Take "Citizen Kane" for example. That film has repeatedly been called the greatest of all time. I wouldn't disagree that it is a great film; however, I think it is ridiculous to think that there hasn't been a film better than that one made either before or after it's creation.

It depends on how you look at it. And exactly what you mean when you call something "the best". Not only do different people have different opinions on what is "the best", different people have different ideas on what "the best" even means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks