What's new

The Prestige (2006) (1 Viewer)

Mike.P

Second Unit

Gonna have to disagree, I'm a huge fan of Lost in Translation, but yeah she really has taken a bunch of iffy roles (That crappy MTV movie, The Island), so its about time she got involved with an actual decent creative team.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
She was also in Ghost World, which was pretty good, although that was before she got all sexed up by Hollywood :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The trailer for this and "The Fountain" were both on before "Lady In The Water". My friends and I are still talking about these trailers and films!!

I can't wait for this one!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, like i said, she hasn't been in any good films yet =). but she's really a sight for... EVERYONE:

very classic beauty+very sexy.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Saw this trailer before Miami Vice...and it is now easily one of my most anticipated movies for this fall (along with The Fountain).

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
It's reasuring that Bale and Caine seem to be totally different to their characters in Batman. For some reason I got the sense there might be some spill-over from that film, especially with the same director on board. Luckily it looks as though Bale has real acting chops, which is unusual for a Hollywood leading man.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Bale has easily become one of my favorite actors, I like him in pretty much anything I see him in. He is a good actor.

I just can't wait for this movie, October can't come quick enough.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Hopefully this film will show (as Contact did) that modern films dealing with heavier issues don't have to be PG-13 or R. Not to rant against those that are, but the lighter than expected rating is surprising and even somewhat refreshing. I'm very excited to see this film.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Ditto. I generally don't have a problem with films that end up with those ratings, but there are times when I wonder "why did they put _______ that in. I think the story would have been just as strong without it." I am really looking forward to this movie.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Correction: The film is rated PG-13 for the same reasons the previous poster mentioned.

Not that it affects my desire to see the movie in any way, but just FYI.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
The book is one of my favorites. I am one sad to see that it has received a PG. The book was very very adult and extremely dark. I'm afraid that most of the horror and grimey reality will now be removed from this movie. I mean the material is great. But they already made one change I dont get....in the book Jackmans character was also british...in the trailer he's american...what the heck is that about. For an enjoyable book run, dont walk, to get a copy of this amazing novel.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wasn't Bowie in the trailer though?

He looks like Giancarlo Giannini in that shot.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The Prestige is Christopher Nolan's greatest movie. I've watched it several times on Prime. I've been scouring Blu-ray.com for 5 star picture quality reviews. The Prestige gets very high marks so I ordered the Touchstone Blu-ray. The picture quality is good but not as good as the streaming version, it must be derived from the newer 4K master, that 4KUHD disc gets great reviews. The lesson here is, be careful with older (2006-2010) reviews, they may not translate to present day!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I always forget about this movie. Still only saw it one time back when I rented it at Blockbuster in maybe 2006 or 2007. I remember really loving it and should watch it again. Memento has always been my preferred Nolan film, but this is at least a close second. Not big on Nolan outside those two.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Prestige is Christopher Nolan's greatest movie. I've watched it several times on Prime. I've been scouring Blu-ray.com for 5 star picture quality reviews. The Prestige gets very high marks so I ordered the Touchstone Blu-ray. The picture quality is good but not as good as the streaming version, it must be derived from the newer 4K master, that 4KUHD disc gets great reviews. The lesson here is, be careful with older (2006-2010) reviews, they may not translate to present day!

I would probably agree with this. Although I did think Dunkirk was great as well. In terms of the complete package...probably The Prestige is his quintessential work. Hard for me to rank them but if I was picking I think the best three pictures he has done are Memento, The Prestige, and Dunkirk. I think with Dunkirk he displays some things that he had not yet shown as a director so it shows he continues to improve his craft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks