The President's Analyst on 6/8!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveGon, Mar 12, 2004.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Take another one off the list! Paramount is releasing The President's Analyst on 6/8.

James Coburn is the titular character, pursued by everyone and his brother when he quits his job. This cult movie tips just about every sacred cow out there! Can't wait...

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes! Thanks, Paramount! [​IMG]

3. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    I don't know all of the details, but didn't previous home video versions of this have some music replaced? Also, wasn't one scene with Barry McGuire cut completely? (I've never seen the whole movie, just bits and pieces from TBS years ago). I believe that I read on another forum that Paramount was working to resolve any music rights issues ... any word as to whether a) the music will be all original and b) the scene with McGuire will be intact?

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Martin Blythe said the the music rights issues would be resolved so that the Barry McGuire tunes would be intact. However, this also means that the trailer will have to be omitted, since that music also needed clearance that proved too expensive for the allocated production budget. And the alternate scenes for television are not likely either.

Nevertheless, I will buy this DVD, as it's a favorite, and hey, you can't get movement for a special edition unless they see that the original was a popular item, right?

5. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Does the phone company know this is coming out????

Anyways, back to Coburn. I heard, but never saw, about a 3rd Derek Flint movie that was made for TV. Any chance of that coming out???

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    For 90% of their releases lately, Paramount has been leaving trailers off their non-special edition catalog titles anyway, so no added loss there. This movie is really funny - very much of its time but not as outdated as, say, OUR MAN FLINT. The telephone company business is surprisingly irreverent.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

And TPC will get you if you purchase this DVD.....

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Great news about the music being cleared for the film itself, Mark.

THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST is one of the funniest, most highly-quotable comedies that the majority of people haven't seen.

"You may continue the relationship, provided: you meet only during daylight hours, and DO NOT SLEEP!"

"Look real? Plastic. Made in my own workshop."

"Personally, I find submarine travel tediummm...tediummm...tediummmm..."

"I've installed red signal lights wherever they may be necessary!"

"Don't say 'lousy', it's impolite."

"Total sound."

"Take that, you hostile son-of-a-bitch!!!"

"Sure, Sullivan, I'll go get them. After all, I'm just a squire --YOU'RE the KNIGHT, YOU have the LICENSE TO KILL!"

"Do you think we like being the silent bleeding partner in North America? Coo lummy! Armed with what's in your 'ead, maybe we can change the course of 'istory!"

"Now, to look at this hand, you wouldn't think you were looking a the future of communications technology. Let's take a closer look, shall we?"

"Wanna draft beer?"

"Have you ever heard of Dr. Chen Hyu, and his electrodynamic process of thought reform? Three days. Three days alone with him, and he'll have me pouring every thought in my head into those tape recorders!"

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Is Ted Flicker still alive? IMDB says he is, but I'm not sure. Commentary miss if he's still alive. It's still hard imagining the world without Jim Coburn. [​IMG]

10. ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig Stunt Coordinator

Peter
    one key quote missing

"POPPYCOCK!!!!"

one other thing I'd like to point out. It seemed that in the days before American Movie Classics gave in to commercials in between their movies playing, they had trailers to other movies before their feature presentation and I distinctly remember them showing the actual trailer to The President's Analyst

Shame on Paramount for that oversight. That and the lack of a Flicker commentary
    ./.
    Not a knock on the studio but it seems that not including the trailer on DVD and seeing that trailer on a channel that showcases older movies and missing the boat at the point where it counts has been a common habit of theirs as of late (Rosemary's Baby, Paper Moon on TCM) as well as showing proof of a trailer but not having it on the DVD as well (Targets)
    if you can do it for smaller titles, don't forget the obscure ones as well no matter how "bad" they are or how many "music rights" you have to go through (Incidentally, the score to TPA was used on the trailer, no excuse for the disclusion!!)

[​IMG]

11. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Yes, excuse, unfortunately. Just because a score is in the film does not mean the studio owns that score free and clear. Since DVD is a new technology, all music contracts are such that any film made before the age of DVD must be renegotiated with publishers and record companies and anyone else who has legal claim.

For example, Paramount cleared all the Universal Music-owned Bee Gees tracks for SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, but only for the movie itself. Any other usage, such as in the trailer or the menu or the VH-1 supplement required additional licensing fees, which they chose not to pay and thus removed the music.

It's cost-effectiveness that's put into play. It was surely pricey to reclear the Led Zeppelin music for the film and trailer of SCHOOL OF ROCK on DVD, but it was worthwhile because they know they will sell enough to pay for it. But only diehards of THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST will likely buy the DVD, and that only constitutes enough revenue to pay for the film's licensing fees, so it's not cost-effective for them to spend more money on the trailer music.

I'm not happy, but their hands are tied, so I'm sympathetic.

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]