What's new

The Predator (September 14, 2018) (1 Viewer)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I don't know if its going to suck or not, I hope not. But between family and mandatory 6 day work weeks for the last month and a half sneaking off to a movie on my own requires a bit of logistics. And the trailers just don't look like it would be worth the effort.

I am eagerly looking forward to hearing what people think once this comes out. I've seen plenty of great movies that had bad trailers, and vice versa.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I thought Guardians of the Galaxy looked awful in the first trailer and had no desire to see it. Went anyway and was blown away and loved it. I'll see this because I love the first one and tend to like Black's movies.

Real Name
Jay Hall
My GUARDIANS experience was the opposite; loved the trailer, but was very underwhelmed by the film. I like Shane Black and Fred Dekker, so I have good feelings about this one.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Review from the Toronto Film Festival:
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/the-predator-review-1202931727/

He didn't really care for it:
All of this is silly, borderline senseless, lively, and without any real rooting value at all. The supposedly lovable misfits here aren’t, no matter how the cast members feign hilarity at their potty-mouthing. Not that it matters — because nothing does in this expensive toy of a film, which ultimately works on the level of a disco ball. It’s shiny, it moves, and is accompanied by much noise.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just saw a review on IGN. They say it starts off well but the last half hour is messy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's icky to me about the situation is that this isn't the first time Black has used Strigel in a film, and the previous ones involved child actors. The Nice Guys, which I love very much, includes Anngorie Rice in a major role. According to IMDb, she is 17, which means she was probably 14-15 when The Nice Guys was shooting. Considering that Strigel's conviction is related to an inappropriate relationship with a 14-year-old, it seems like a strange decision to allow him to be on set where Black was also employing a 14-year-old. I don't remember his role in The Nice Guys, I don't know if he interacted with her on it or not, and I'm not trying to imply that I know anything about the production of that movie other than what is documented on the Blu-ray.

But given the nature of his conviction, it's a strange choice. If I were the director, it's not one I would have made unilaterally. I would like to think he trusted his friend to act appropriately, but I don't think that's something that should be decided upon by him alone. The director has to create a safe working environment for all involved. I don't want to pronounce judgment without knowing the specifics of each circumstance, but it sounds like this could be viewed by some as a violation of that job.

I don't do horror. So The Predator is not for me, and was never for me, so I'm not deciding to boycott it or anything due to this news, since I wouldn't have seen it regardless. But I wonder if it will impact Black being offered future directing jobs or not. Would studios feel comfortable hiring him? Would cast members feel comfortable working with him? Even though it was not his crime, he was the one who decided to put Strigel in those films. So, we'll see.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
IGN wouldn’t be my first choice for film reviews. ;)

Well, certainly we’re not talking about Roger Ebert here (and even he wasn’t always right), but it’s an opinion that I don’t disbelieve out of hand. Movies such as this often do get messy or silly in the 3rd act. Certainly I wouldn’t go by that review alone, but it’s just one I came across while on IGN.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
First showing tomorrow night. I have zero emotional attachment to the "character," so I'm going in as impartially as I can. Best case scenario is a sci fi action movie that's entertaining. Worst case is a complete borefest...which can not possibly be worse than the two AVP movies. Low bar, then, I guess?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got out of an IMAX 2D screening thanks to AMC A-List.

Just to give context, I’ve seen all the movies, but the original is the only one I’ve seen more than once. This movie isn’t likely to break that streak.

I thought it was fine but nothing special. Some decent quips, some decent action, nothing terribly memorable.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I thought it was fine but nothing special. Some decent quips, some decent action, nothing terribly memorable.

I think that's the best summary of the movie. I was asked this morning by a friend how it was. My answer was "fine." In the end, it's like having a bucket of popcorn. You know you had it, but can't really remember anything that would make you recommend it. I just didn't have fun with The Predator. I wish I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks