What's new

The Practice (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is the hold up with the rest of The Practice being released? Is it a music right issue? Or, is it a Disney Problem?

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
I'd buy those remaining seasons in a heartbeat -- and if they released a complete series set, I'd happily double-dip on what I already own!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
For the same reason a lot of shows never got past the first season, regardless of studio: it didn't sell.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Rather surprised that we haven't seen at least the final season 8 released, when James Spader joined the cast as Alan Shore and completely stole the show away from everyone else, leading to the spin-off Boston Legal. BL was a fun show, but that last season of The Practice with Spader was fantastic stuff.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Rather surprised that we haven't seen at least the final season 8 released, when James Spader joined the cast as Alan Shore and completely stole the show away from everyone else, leading to the spin-off Boston Legal. BL was a fun show, but that last season of The Practice with Spader was fantastic stuff.

The final season was released on DVD back in 2014.

1645871953341.jpeg

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
That eighth season was really great When Alan Shore came in and livened things up. I was sorry they didn’t continue.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
That eighth season was really great When Alan Shore came in and livened things up. I was sorry they didn’t continue.

Yeah, I would've quite liked another Alan Shore season of The Practice.

If they had intentions to continue the show, I'm pretty sure the storyline where they basically 'blew things up' at the end (including Eugene being made a judge) would not have happened. I'm sure Alan, Eugene and the rest would've continued to practice law under one roof.

By the time that they started Alan's lawsuit against the firm, they were already planning to do the spin-off instead during the following year.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For those who really want physical discs, seasons 3 and 4 were also released on DVD ... but only in Germany (Region 2/PAL).

And yet Boston Legal Got a Full release in Region 1. I guess people liked Shatner Saying "Denny Crane" all the time .. Very Shatner esk

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
And yet Boston Legal Got a Full release in Region 1. I guess people liked Shatner Saying "Denny Crane" all the time .. Very Shatner esk

Shatner (and the comedic aspect of the spin-off) is definitely one factor. A couple others: Boston Legal was still a 'current' show when the DVD releases started, while The Practice was an 'older' (cancelled) show, which might have helped sales of BL. Also, that first DVD release of The Practice (volume 1) maybe didn't sell as well as expected.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A couple others: Boston Legal was still a 'current' show when the DVD releases started, while The Practice was an 'older' (cancelled) show, which might have helped sales of BL. Also, that first DVD release of The Practice (volume 1) maybe didn't sell as well as expected.

Boston Legal just happened to be then-current during the "golden age" of tv-on-dvd circa mid-2000s to around 2010 or so, where movie studios were willing to release a lot of season sets of the recent season(s) of then-current tv shows. Even a failure like the 2007 rebooted Bionic Woman eight episodes had a dvd release.

For 1990s / early-2000s era shows, it seemed to be largely hit-or-miss during tv-on-dvd's "golden age". For every JAG, West Wing, X-Files, Star Trek (tng, ds9, voy, ent), Stargate SG1, etc ... which had all their respective seasons released on dvd, there were plenty of other shows which were quietly forgotten, stalled, or only released decades later. The latter likely dictated by failure to reach sales targets. No point in releasing catalog non-current shows if not enough people are buying the first season dvd sets, and/or if the executives calling the shots don't believe there are enough paying customers.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The final season was released on DVD back in 2014.

The likely reason why ShoutFactory was willing to release this back in 2014, was that James Spader was popular again after the first season of The Blacklist in 2013-2014.

In an alternate parallel universe where season 1 of The Blacklist was a failure and canceled in early 2014 (or late 2013), then it wouldn't be too surprising if this dvd of the final season of The Practice was never released in 2014.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The likely reason why ShoutFactory was willing to release this back in 2014, was that James Spader was popular again after the first season of The Blacklist in 2013-2014.

In an alternate parallel universe where season 1 of The Blacklist was a failure and canceled in early 2014 (or late 2013), then it wouldn't be too surprising if this dvd of the final season of The Practice was never released in 2014.

Yeah, there's that angle, as well. Hadn't really thought about that. Makes sense, especially since Boston Legal ended in 2008.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nowadays if a show like "Boston Legal" was a current network tv show, most likely it would not even be released on dvd in america. (Possibly a dvd-mod release, or only released overseas).

A recent precedent is Dick Wolf's FBI franchise three shows on CBS, where none of the seasons have been released on dvd in america. (It was released on dvd in europe).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Got my Season 8 set of the practice. was looking at Boston Legal but there were reviews on Amazon claiming episodes were cut or missing. Is that true ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks