The Practice 10/19/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Amazingly enough, the Chris O'Donnell character gets away with it all. It's enough to throw a TV brick at the TV screen.

The guy, who finds out his wife was cheating on him with his best friend and that his children are not his children, goes nuts after finding his wife and best friend in bed and shoots them Scarface style. He's totally in denial of the situation (or that's what we are led to believe).

Sheila's case was a bit disturbing (does anything think stuffing your mother's head and mounting it for the wall is a good idea, even in times of extreme grief from her passing?)

Alan's case was handled with a lot of sensitivity, which is why Alan is such a fun character to watch because he can be a leech in one scene, and just as believably sympathetic in another. Spader's main strength is to just stare knowingly into the camera, and nod. [​IMG]

The writers have no idea what to do with Jimmy, who's stuck handling an unlawful termination of a pregnant nun. Loved Sheila's pointers to Jimmy to get that case settled.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’re a lot nicer than I am, Patrick. [​IMG] I think last night’s show sucked.

Let’s see:
    • Sharon Stone’s “cuckoo for Coco Puffs” character,
    • the taxidermists who stuffed his mother’s head,
    • the guy who gets his jollies cleaning public toilets.
    Must be a new record for the number of fruitcakes appearing in a single episode of a TV program! Definitely over the top, even for a show noted for its “you’ve got to be kidding me” situations and characters.

At one point I asked my wife, "Did someone change the channel when I went out to the kitchen? This looks like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone." Can’t remember when I’ve ever seen a show go down so far, so fast in a single episode. We’ve been watching The Practice since it first came on, but one or two more like this, and we’re outta here.

Other gripes:

James Spader’s character looked really promising in the pre-season ads and in the first episode, a quirky, smarmy “bad boy” that should have really livened things up. But he’s getting more bland and milquetoast with each episode. The fact that he’s even there, having never been given an office or even officially hired, is becoming glaringly ridiculous.

She never really floated my boat before, but now I’m really missing the Helen Gamble character. The repartee between the prosecutors and the defense attorneys is non-existent now. In fact, four shows into the season, we don’t know any of the prosecutors.

With the pregnant nun case Jimmy’s looking at, it looks like David Kelly has the Catholic church in his crosshairs once again.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And yet, it's filmed well, and looks nice in HDTV. [​IMG] Can't win, can we?

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Chris O'Donnel's characters release was at least legally realistic. Which is more than I can say for most of last season.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm really surprised none of these lawyers sing songs on this show. But Kelly probably is able to use "The Brotherhood of Poland" for his musical outlet for the time being.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I enjoyed this week's crazy people episode. It was alot better than the soap opera drab we were subjected to last season. I think it only gets better from here.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I'm really enjoying this season so far. They finally got rid of Bobby, his wife, and the skeleton known as Lisa flynn boyel.

Much better.

10. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Lara Flynn Boyle you mean [​IMG]