What's new

The Powers Of Matthew Star coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It might be a decent release by VEI standards. I don't recall if there was ever a syndication package for this show, as it only aired for one season. Could be original length network prints if that's all CBS Television has available.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
It might be a decent release by VEI standards. I don't recall if there was ever a syndication package for this show, as it only aired for one season. Could be original length network prints if that's all CBS Television has available.

That's what I'm thinking too. Since it was only one season doubt there were any syndication prints made. I just wonder what shape the original prints are in.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And I wonder if this release will have Paramount Television's normal and tall-peaked Blue Mountains, as were on the original NBC broadcasts in 1982-83 (given VEI's track record with Petrocelli and The Magician, among others, I would expect nothing less).

Last edited:

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I, too, am excited about this one; never thought I'd ever see it again (on DVD, at least).
I have vivid memories from when I was 7 years old that fall of '82, watching Powers of Matthew Star & Knight Rider back-to-back - both brand new shows that fall.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Never thought it would get a release. I loved the show and often think of it when I see Peter Barton in Friday the 13th 4. Day one pick up for me.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I think it did run once or twice on SciFi. It might have run once on USA.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Never thought I'd see this but one show I loved as a kid will finally make it to DVD.
https://www.visualentertainment.tv/collections/new-release/products/the-powers-of-matthew-star-7071

I just wonder what the quality will be like.
Cool! I've been waiting for this one, too!

Knowing VEI, I know the Blue Mountain logos at the end will be intact... both the normal peak used on the 1982-aired episodes and the taller one on the '83 episodes. It is the latter one that is quite rare on DVD as up until now, Webster was the only TV show on DVD to keep it (look for it on seasons 2 and 4).

Sometime in the future, they may work on The Renegades and Ryan's Four as well, two other Paramount TV shows from '83 to use the taller-peak Blue Mountain.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Sometime in the future, they may work on The Renegades and Ryan's Four as well, two other Paramount TV shows from '83 to use the taller-peak Blue Mountain.

~Ben

That latter one (Ryan's), I'm definitely looking forward to-- I've never seen it before; I've only read things about it!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I think it did run once or twice on SciFi. It might have run once on USA.

It definitely ran on Sci-Fi Channel in the '90s (probably as part of their "Series Collection" of short-run shows), but I definitely remember seeing reruns earlier than that, sometime around 1985-86, I think, on one of the basic cable stations (maybe USA, CBN or Nick).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It definitely ran on Sci-Fi Channel in the '90s (probably as part of their "Series Collection" of short-run shows), but I definitely remember seeing reruns earlier than that, sometime around 1985-86, I think, on one of the basic cable stations (maybe USA, CBN or Nick).
USA Network, probably, as other lesser-known Paramount series like Petrocelli, The Associates and Bosom Buddies had been reran on that channel, too.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
USA Network, probably, as other lesser-known Paramount series like Petrocelli, The Associates and Bosom Buddies had been reran on that channel, too.

~Ben

Indeed-- in fact, here are two Petrocelli promos on USA, one from 1985, the other from 1986:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have them all from the original network run. Looks like VEI is still scouring the CBS vaults for shows that have been remastered to tape in a modern format. There's still a bunch that got sold to TV Land or SciFi, although I don't think they are going to be bothering with Me and the Chimp or Goodtime Girls, to name some of the really bad shows that CBS remastered.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I have them all from the original network run. Looks like VEI is still scouring the CBS vaults for shows that have been remastered to tape in a modern format. There's still a bunch that got sold to TV Land or SciFi, although I don't think they are going to be bothering with Me and the Chimp or Goodtime Girls, to name some of the really bad shows that CBS remastered.
Hopefully those that you mention will be released by CBS DVD itself through its MOD channel (Amazon CreateSpace), like they did with The Young Lawyers and Best of the West, even though the former did get re-ran on TV Land once. They did leave the original Paramount logos alone (except for the pilot movie on The Young Lawyers).

~Ben

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I got an email from VEI saying the set is now available. Can anyone who picks this up post on the quality and runtimes of the set? Want to see if it's worth getting. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks