The Power of Bose Marketing (again)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I was watching the classic movie "Arthur" last night and noticed that in Arthur's room he had Bose 901 speakers. I mean this movie depicts the richest of the rich. A guy with the best of everything. And he chose Bose speakers. I mean with marketing like that, its no wonder that J6P thinks they are the best. I thought that was quite funny, especially since this movie is 20 years old.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

2. wally

wally Second Unit

Gregg,
    Don't worry too much. Being more a computer nerd (for now) I have noticed that more often than not, when you see a computer in the movies or tv, it's a Mac.
    That hasn't helped Apple too much.

3. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the apple thing is true. Never thought about that. I'm not worried, I just think its amazing how well Bose can manipulate the marketplace like that. I wonder how much money they paid the movie studio to make the little plug.
    Also I noticed that in the show "Friends" that when Joey and Chandler lived together, they had Martin Logan speakers. I mean no one buys these speakers unless they have a serious audio system which 2 guys like them would not have. Thought that was kinda funny too.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

lots of TV slacker 20sometings also have liveable sized apartments in manhatten (FALSE) and Herman Miller Furniture (FLASE).
    don't believe the hype....

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

For the life of me I can't remember if it was a TV show or a movie that I saw this in, but it floored me. Kids moving into a college dorm. Two of them where carring what I am pretty sure was a Martin Logan Aerius speaker. They were carring it like a large log and ran the top of it right into a door. I just about screamed.
    College kids would have a $3000/pair speakers and just run one of them into a wall. I know some college kids could have $3000/pair speakers, but I don't know of any that would run them into a wall or live in a dorm.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on November 05, 2001 at 04:35 PM]

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Dustin, you have an obligation to find out what movie that was!
    Probably had their rich dad to by them speakers theyhad nver heard of. Stupid rich kids. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I feel like I saved someone's soul today!
    I posted a review on audioreview.com about the
    "Bose Wave" radio... And I got an email from a
    guy who was ready to buy a Bose 3,2,1 system
    and I send him back one lengthy reply!
    Now he is considering one of the many HTB's
    which dare I say is still limited which I
    explained this to him also, but much better
    than anything Bose offers in the 1K price
    range!
    I did my good deed for the day [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I just can't remember. I'm thinking "Road Trip", or "Skulls" or damnit, the one with the kid from "American Pie" where he wears the stupid hat and wants that Mina/Nina Suvary whatever chick (god I just butchered her name). I'm leaning towards the last one.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well done Brett [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

That's like Seinfeld and his SPECIALIZED full suspenion mountain bike hanging on the wall. Never was there any episode where his bike was even mentioned.
    What is that box by Jerry's door? I always think its a subwoofer, but maybe its a hamper? Hah hah. I don't know. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

11. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

While on the topic of Bose marketing, here is a very funny quote from Paul Harvey. He said the Bose Wave Radio was "able to fill a large auditorium with glorious sound, maybe even a stadium!" [​IMG] I was chuckling for hours.
    ------------------

12. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Chris PC,
    Not that it really matters but Seinfeld always had KLEIN bicycles as best I can remember and I believe in real life he is an avid cyclist.
    ------------------

13. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

The movie is called Loser. It stars Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari. I believe that is a CD tower they are carrying though, not a Martin Logan Speaker. I JUST noticed the Martin Logans in Joeys apartment last night. There isnt even a reciver in there!

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've always wondered if the Martin-Logans were on Friends more for looks than product placement. I mean, how many people even realize those are speakers? I'm guessing that the set decorators just wanted some speakers that looked cool more than anything else.
    I hope to god that no one smacked one into a door in a movie. That would be just sick in my opinion. In addition to sounding good, those things are works of art.

15. Allan F

Allan F Agent

I think I saw a pair of Martin Logan's in the movie "The Limey" as well. I can't count the number of times I have seen B&O product on TV. Not that B&O makes bad product, but we can very safely assume this is for appearance purposes.
    Allan

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You sure it was a CD tower. I coulda swore it was a Martin Logan speaker, and I'm sure I saw the pair poorly placed in the dorm room later.
    For a side not that relates to where this thread is going, did anyone notice the Revel Gems in "What Women Want?"
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on November 05, 2001 at 11:16 PM]

17. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Right I did. I noticed them right away. Those Gems stand out very much.
    I hate to see these set decoraters putting these speakers around "just to look nice". UGH! Like in "Friends". [​IMG]
    We are way off topic now.......
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

18. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I think the primary reason you will see B&W Speakers and Martin Logans is their high aesthetic value. I'm POSITIVE the speakers in Friends are there PURELY for aesthetics. You can product place $3000/each speakers all you want, people aren't going to run out to the local high figh shop [​IMG] I plan on getting some MLs when I put togeher a purely music system though, I cant imagine buying 5 of them for home theater, OUCH!
    Bose Sucks.

19. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Bose's new "improved 3000 dollar lifestyle system has a "revolutionary" DVD player that doesn't have a component input, progressive scan or play DVD Audio. That doesn't matter because it has "Bose quality sound" which more than makes up for it.

20. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

Try "Just Shoot Me" all audio I have seen is Bose!
    RE: 20 somethings .... we do have TIVO! heheehe
    Any one see "The Skulls" in the presidents office ... now THAT IS A SETUP!
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------