What's new

The Postman... why no love? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I remember when my college roomate bought this DVD right after I got my first DVD player. We got to the checkout and the girl behind the counter looked at it and goes "your getting the postman?" I think thes movie rocks. I've always liked Costner films, and although I'm required to like field of dreams being from Iowa originally, I really like water world and the Postman. Maybe its something I have with post-apocalyptic hope movies (I also like Titan AE). I just know that as cheesy as it is, nothing gives me goosebumps like when Costner, in a head lock, grunts out "I believe in the United States" before headbutting Will Patton. Damn I like this movie. :D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
My personal opinion - There is no compelling reason to make this movie. The story doesn't merit the cost or length (IMO of course). It wasn't that it was so bad. It was just underserving to be made. The worst part is that the lack of pyrotechnics or activity makes it hard to really enjoy even superficially like many other underserving blockbuster attempts.

That's my take, but I'm glad it has fans.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I too enjoy the Postman. I also liked FoD and DWW. I wasn't a fan of Water World, however. (Though the TV Version had a great ending.)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
did the tv version have different ending than the theatrical or video version. I have the WW tape, but no DVD.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it, but it was easy to see how pretencious it was. The premise was asking a lot from the audience. I don't think it was poorly made, but poorly conceived since nobody bought into the story to begin with. If they had made it about something OTHER than the USPS, it might not have been laughed at so much.

Elbert

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion,Costner has somehow lost his creative touches after Dances with Wolves. I can't recall any memorable Costner film after that(with the exception of JFK, where I felt he gave a rather fine performance).

VernRB

Auditioning
I didn't think it was as bad as critics were saying when it came out. My GF of the time mentioned to me a few times during the movie how horrible she thought it was. But, I kind of enjoyed it. Not a great movie but something to watch. ;)

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
As a fan of the book, I found the movie very disappointing. They left out some really cool parts of the plot and other events that made for a much better story.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I thought the movie was pretty interesting... somewhat. My main complaint was that the whole movie was building up to this huge battle between the pseudo-government,and Costners militia. But then it just fizzled out... very anti-climatic. I felt cheated. Reminded me of the end of "The search for the Holy Grail", except in this wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Postman wasn't that bad. Could have been a lot better if that middle hour (with them stuck in the cabin) had been cut out.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
The Postman makes Waterworld look like Citizen Kane, IMHO.

For what it's worth, the book isn't half-bad. If you liked the movie I'd definitely recommend the book by David Brin.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I like a fewCostner movies. Ilove Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (I know I'll be getting the SE DVD) and I think Water World and The Postman are pretty damn good, too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks